need help choosing front brake

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 31, 2013
RI
high folks, i've recently joined the ranks here as a total noob and i wanted to say thank you to you all for sharing your knowledge, i truly appreciate the feelings of sharing and camaraderie that i have witnessed here and i have learned much from you all already.

...ordinarily i don't like asking for help, especially on a forum like this where just about any question a noob like myself could think to ask has already been asked and answered many times but i decided to reach out and ask for some help in choosing a front brake because the more i ride my bike the more nervous i become relying on just a coaster brake ...and because i'm unclear on what would be the best choice.

...anyway, i am leaning toward a disc brake because in my reading the disc brake seems to come out on top for stopping power in all situations except the rain and i don't ride in the rain so that's a non-issue.

...also, it seems that a disc brake would be slightly more economical as it would hopefully be just an addition, i like the idea of drum brakes but for that i'd need a new wheel. (i'm not totally against this as i'd like to upgrade to a heavier gauge spoke but i'd like to wait to do that until i can replace BOTH wheels, for cosmetic reasons i'd like both wheels to match if possible)

...anyway, lol, here is a picture of my bike which is just a Micargi Cheetah beach cruiser and i'd appreciate any help i can get, first, is it possible? ...and then, if so, links to sources would be awesome.

thanks in advance, bozo

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
yeah man. I had that same issue. what's the diameter of that "steerer tube?"

What I did is i found an old mountain bike with the same diameter tube and swapped out the front end. that little swap cost me 219$ by the way. probably not the cheapest route, but hey I'm sure you can find some old crappy mountain bike to get the front end off of.

Also, you could also get one of those front drum things and re-spoke your entire front tire. the only ones i know of though cost around 60 bucks but they look sexi.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Coaster brake is all you need. Save your money. If you need to stop real fast just do a power slide
Just my opinion, that's bad advice.

Here I am with 203mm front and rear disc brakes, and wanting to upgrade this with a motorcycle single-piston hydraulic front disc brake w/200mm-250mm rotor.

I even got a dual-piston motorcycle caliper, just in case.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2013
RI
mornin' George, thanks for the links as i had some trouble on that site finding these wheels.

anyway, i'm seriously considering this as an option but i'd like also to explore disc brakes up front because that wouldn't require a new wheel.

...also, i was looking at the brake options at Custom Motored Bicycles and they also offer a drum brake wheel for $6.00 more than the Husky wheel although they aren't exactly identical. (the drum brake wheel is about half way down the page)

...i'd really like to keep the wheel i have and just add a front brake but if that isn't possible then a new wheel is in my near future.

peace, Rick

btw, thanks again for all your help, i've put about 50 miles on the bike since you made your housecall and resuscitated my bike, ...and thanks to you and your help i was able to go visit my grandsons yesterday so for real, thanks again for all your help!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I wouldn't necessarily consider a disc "more economical", as it seems to me that disc conversion is the most expensive way to go. In order to convert to disc, you'll need the following: A wheel that is disc compatible, a fork that is disc compatible or adapters, and a complete disc brake setup. That all can run you anywhere from $150 to $200 for a quality setup. A drum brake requires no modification to the bike. All you need to convert to drum is the wheel and a strong enough bracket to hold the brake arm in place. Most new drums come with the bracket, a used one may not. A used drum wheel may be acquired for $50 or even less. I got my Worksman drum used at a rally for $35. The only other thing you need for a drum is a brake lever with good pulling force. The farther away from the bar the lever rests, the more pulling force it will have.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
I wouldn't necessarily consider a disc "more economical", as it seems to me that disc conversion is the most expensive way to go. In order to convert to disc, you'll need the following: A wheel that is disc compatible, a fork that is disc compatible or adapters, and a complete disc brake setup. That all can run you anywhere from $150 to $200 for a quality setup. A drum brake requires no modification to the bike. All you need to convert to drum is the wheel and a strong enough bracket to hold the brake arm in place. Most new drums come with the bracket, a used one may not. A used drum wheel may be acquired for $50 or even less. I got my Worksman drum used at a rally for $35. The only other thing you need for a drum is a brake lever with good pulling force. The farther away from the bar the lever rests, the more pulling force it will have.
...thanks for the response and the info and i was afraid of that, lol.

...looks like i'll be buying myself a new front wheel very soon, ...either the Husky wheel George linked me to or one from Custom Motored Bicycles if Lynn will lace one up that matchs my current rims, color wise.

...either way i expect i'll have a new front drum brake before the end of the month.

...thanks to all who responded.

peace, bozo

Mar 31, 2013
RI
Better to just change bikes. Get a bike that already has what you want on it. Used on CL there are tons of them.
lol, yeah, i guess i should toss the bike i already have and go on the hunt for a bicycle with the brakes i want and build THAT into a motorized bike, that makes way more sense then just spending $120.00 for a new wheel with a drum brake hub.

peace, bozo

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Either way would work.

Orrrr, you could buy used on craigslist and cannibalize parts.

Strange as it may seem, SOMETIMES it makes sense to swap frames.
I'm in the process of fitting monstrous motorcycle tires onto a bicycle.
A "Fat Bike" frame would make it oh so easy but very expensive to do so.
Sometimes it's less expensive to retrofit or modify what you have.

alienbusa

Jul 1, 2013
California
I guess I'm just nutty. These are just "bikes". Cheap as can be so to me it makes no sense to pay as much for a front brake setup as you would for an entire bike. Could even just buy a used one and cannibalize. It's funny....I have a Schwinn Del Mar cheapie cruiser and I am about to do the same thing. Looks pretty easy to just throw something on. Drum brakes are NOT enough :D

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I got a drum brake wheel sitting in my closet. 26 in. Husky almost brand new. Right next to my 36'' chopper forks. Got some chrome springer forks in there too. Got rid of the bikes but I kept those! LOL. Got my stash going

Mar 31, 2013
RI
You can get this done cheap...
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=45784
Muffler shop will usually do it under $20 bucks and parts bikes can be had free if you scrounge a bit...
...thanks man but i've decided to get me a new wheel with a drumbrake hub and 12 gauge spokes, ...money i can replace, my butt, not so much.

...i was never looking for the cheapest option, i was more looking for advice as to the BEST and the SIMPLEST setup that would fit on my springer fork.

peace, bozo

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My bad. I thought you were cheap like I am.
If you want the best...disc.
Drums just look so cool though.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
My bad. I thought you were cheap like I am.
If you want the best...disc.
Drums just look so cool though.
...lol, yeah, i'm cheap too, AND i'm a DIYer at heart, ...but i'm nearing 60 and i don't bounce as good as i used to so i figure i'll cheap out in other areas of my life, ...areas that won't send me for a tumble 'cause i cheaped out.

...i guess i'll just have to wait a few more weeks before i throw down on the retirement mansion in Maui, lol.

peace, bozo