Vintage motorcycle inspired build

GoldenMotor.com

Samsquanch

Dec 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, California
Hey everyone, I've been lurking on this site for a good couple years now. I've been slowly putting together a bike inspired by builds from cobrafreak, sportscarpat, lurker, dmar836 and others. My bike is nearing completion, and while there are a thousand things I would do differently if I were to start again, I am satisfied with it as a first project. There are definitely a few additions I'm planning on making, but I thought it was time to post something. Also, the pedals aren't functional, just footpegs essentially, so if it's determined it doesn't belong on this motorized BICYCLE site I understand. Anyways, have a look (more pictures to come later).

I prefer the more upright riding position, although i admit the board track style is far better looking. Soon I'll throw some simplex tires on there. Someday I might try to make some functional pedals, but mounting a sprocket on either side of the worksman hub doesn't seem possible. A pedal system like lurker's first build might be in the future. I'd like to someday make a longer, more heavy duty fork with slightly more rake, so i could fit a front fender. Also, maybe some plates to go below the engine like dmar836's bike. Some sort of logo will go on the tank. A centerstand would be cooler than my kickstand. Like I said, if I were to start over, there would be a thousand things I'd do differently.

-Kyle

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
That's a good looking bike, Kyle. I'm sure all would like to know more of the details of your build. Do you have any ideas of what you will call the bike? Not "old blue," I hope!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I say it's a bike even if the pedals don't function. Never seen a motorcycle with pedals. (at least not lately...;o)
Nice build! I foresee some beautiful stuff from you in the future...

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Very Nice! looks like a Honda GC160 how do you like it? there is always something you'd like to change, modify, upgrade Exc,Exc,Exc LOL!

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Kyle,
Absolutely beautiful build! Nothing wrong with building it as a cruiser as we all know the comfort level is greatly improved. It's also easier to convert a cruiser into a boardie than a boardie into a cruiser. Niice build.
Pat

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Kyle, Nicely done! Very clean look and like you, I prefer to sit more upright. Enjoy riding that wonderful creation.
Dan

Samsquanch

Dec 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, California
Thanks for the kind words from everyone. Here's a few more photos.

I used this diagram to build my frame, I think dmar did as well.

The engine is a GC190 (it was slightly cheaper than the 160). I'm really happy with it, plenty of low end torque. It doesn't have the racing after market parts like the GX200, but it's plenty fast for me. Took it down on the road and it made 50mph (granted I was using a cheap bicycle speedometer), which is way more power than I'd use on a regular basis. I'm using a Mikuni 22mm carb.

I've got a jackshaft to move the chainline over from the CVT to the sprocket.

The sprocket is simply bolted on to the worksman hub. I've seen this done a few times, and so far it's held up fine. I could see this being a potential weak link in the future, but we'll see.

Samsquanch

Dec 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, California

The wheels are both Worksman with drum brake hubs. The front brake is operated with a hand lever, and the rear with a foot pedal. They were originally both hand levers, but I switched to a foot pedal after I was getting a lot of movement in the cable housing, causing the rear brake to be a little squishy. It's much more effective now.
The saddle is one I bought off www.hiwheel.com for the very reasonable price of $29.95.

The tank is two fire extinguishers welded together. I'm going to use the rear one as a reserve tank. I left the dividing wall and drilled a hole at the top of it, so when the front tank is full, it will fill the rear. Then when the front tank is empty, I can switch to the rear with a Y valve (that I have yet to purchase. Right now the rear fuel line is just plugged). I thought it was a cool idea, even though this gas tank is way bigger than it needs to be, and I'll probably never run out of gas.

And this is a picture of me! Thanks for looking, and again, I appreciate the feedback!

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Beautiful build I love everything about it, especially the color. I also like what you did with the rear brake.

Samsquanch

Dec 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, California
Added an antique headlamp, a tool bag, and a logo.

I was wondering, does anyone have any insight into registering this as a moped in California?
I realize it is not. It has more than 2 hp, it can go more than 30 mph, and it's pedals don't work. However, jumping through the hoops to make it a street legal motorcycle is not really an option I want to pursue right now (turn signals, DOT headlight, etc...).

Does anyone know what the worst repercussions of registering it as a moped is? If i get fined, oh well, if they impound it, that's a bummer. But if they can suspend my driver's license, then it's out of the question.

I figure as long as it's registered as a moped, it's insured, I keep it under 30 mph and I have a motorcycle license, a cop would be understanding. Anyone have any experience? I know cobrafreak has his 212cc registered as a moped, those Taylar bikes are often 160cc and I think they get registered, granted those all have working pedals...