new build - need some help

GoldenMotor.com

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
Hey guys, it's been a while since i've been here, and now that i seek to return to this world of motorized bicycle, i could use some help.

I had previously owned a 66cc 2 stroke on a cruiser, and loved it.

Unfortunately, i cannot seem to find a good price on a 2 stroke kit, and decided that i also don't want to mess with oil/gas mixing.

So, i acquired a 4 stroke enging from a Reel lawnmower. (it's an old Toro brand in case that matters) Paid 15 bucks for the damn thing, so it's not like it's a big loss if i can't make this work.

I remember seeing that someone had made a jackshaft kit to allow for use of a derailer system and gearing. any one have any pics of it?

and as far as brakes are concerned, is it worth going with new drum brake hubs or can i use a disk brake setup? safety is a big plus on this.

Im sorry if im asking alot, but i haven't found exact answers to these questions.

Thanks!

agcat111

Mar 28, 2013
Utah
SBP SICK BIKE PARTS HAS A JACK SHAFT SET UP. I WS JUST READING ON TODAYS POSTS AND SAW THAT FELLOWS WERE SAYING THAT TOP SPEED SUFFERS AS THE JACK SHAFT SET UP TAKES POWER AND TURNING THE NEW CHAIN DOES TOO. GOOD LUCK,

vIC

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
If you have pictures of the engine and did you try to start it. Does it include all that the reel lawn mower had? I mean if you don't have to make a test stand to try it out and stuff. It has a gas tank and carb, what kind.

I fix a lot of stuff like these engines. My motor bike I made does not have gears, but the jackshafts I have (two with lots of pulleys), is actually so it can go slow for parade speeds with art cover. Also to ride as a dirt bike.

Take a look at the DIY and a few other Non-Kit kind of work people are doing here, you'll be amazed.

MT

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
I will take a few pics tonight, and show you guys what i have to work with. I'm still trying to figure out HOW i want to set this thing up. then i can decide if i am going to build a new frame from scratch, or install on a modified frame.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=7 see post 63 on page 7

There are 4 pictures of the probably same engine, both during overhaul and getting ideas on how it could fit an existing frame with some custom made parts to mount.

If you have questions on this kind of engine and you search internet but not find, do ask me. My engine is the 80202 0430 Briggs Model 3hp 4stroke.

If you can fit the existing carb and gas tank on your build and want to keep it they do work good. Only my build I had so little room I switched the carb and gas tank to a fuel gravity feed system, rather than keeping the Vacu-Jet system.

Good find. Mine was like 3 engines from San Jose Flea Market for like $25 and one was a 6S cast iron Briggs. I have reconditioned the 80202 0430 and one thing I let a machine shop do is re-cut the valves and seats for better compression seal.

Air filter on the engine is gone? If you have it put it one before attempting to run. It just takes a little grit to mess up the engine. Ask how I know, I'm sorry to say as a teenager I ruined an engine that way. I got it for free from the junk and used it extensively before it was ruined, but that is not much of a consolation.

MT

Last edited:

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
no air filter is there, just took it off so you guys could look at it.

in looking at what is out there, i guess i forgot to mention that i want to go for that "Simplex" motorcycle look with this bike.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
That's a cool little motor, you can fit a different carb pretty easily if you don't want the diaphragm kind. is there a set of numbers on the shroud?