Sprocket adapter

GoldenMotor.com

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I am so p***ed about my bike. The pineapple sprocket 'wobbles' like when it spins and you see it from the top it looks a coin doing its last spins before dropping. Anyways it destroys every effing chain.

I don't see how a sprocket adapter couldn't fix this issue, but input is appreciated.

Anyways! this is the wheel i have: http://www.pistonbikes.com/product-p/cc26hdr.htm
Does anyone know the size or how to find it? I think diameter?

I like to use the slimmer chains so which sprocket do you guys recommend?

Last edited:

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
What kind of hub is it? Most adapters will fit the shimano 110. The hub diameter should be within a few thousandths of an inch from 1.530"

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
When you say pineapple adapter, do you mean a real pineapple adapter:

Or a rag joint (the one that comes with the kit):

I will never use one of the rag joints or pineapple kits again. I bought a sprocket adapter from Phantom Bikes and absolutely love it (and I also got my dad one, we have had no problems). It drives the wheel from the hub rather than the spokes, which can prevent some VERY nasty wheel failures down the road.

Its the second one down: http://phantom-bikes.com/shop/parts/custom-parts/

The Phantom Bikes adapter is a premium quality adapter that uses only the highest grade parts. Each one is CNC cut in the shop behind Phantom Bikes' storefront. Also since the only point of contact is on the hub, you can slide the adapter from side to side for proper chain clearance and alignment. I have gotten a lot of use out of it because it only takes about 3 minutes to change a sprocket. What I have done some times (when riding far with changing terrain) is I would start with a big sprocket to get out of my hilly town, then quickly swap to a small one to get a higher cruising speed at a lower RPM for the rest of the way, as it is all flat or downhill.

The adapter that Phantom Bikes sells comes with a 50t sprocket, which raises the price by some amount. I would give John or Sterling at Phantom Bikes a call and talk to them about it. I am sure they would keep the sprocket and only sell you the adapter, or you guys could figure something else out. They are very nice and are easy to work with.

Here are some pics of the one they sell on my bike (sorry for the dirt :))

Hope I helped, and ride safe!
-Chris N.

Last edited:

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Oh crap my bad! The adapters are not made at their storefront, but their new prototype is. I can't say anything else about it though until it is released to the public :)

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
The part they are talking about is produced by Manic Mechanic. It was unlawfully reproduced by a few other copy-cats. I personally dislike that, someone doing all the work, research and development, and then someone else just gets there and copies what you do? No...
So, try getting the real thing. You'll LOVE it. I got mine for my first motorized bicycle, and LOVED it. It got rid of the vibration, and made the bike run great!

http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-parts/accessories-1/manic-mechanic-sprocket-and-adapter-assembly.html

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Will this one work? the guy said "The other is a clam shell large 1.56" with shimms for smaller and a spacer for the coaster brake arm"

My wheel is a generic shimano 110

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261191166396?item=261191166396&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Will someone link one that takes the regular, slimmer chains?
What is a regular slimmer chain?
That adapter uses the crappy Chinese 9 hole sprockets and at $75 costs
more than a MM adapter and a sprocket.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The reason why the MM hub adapter was copied is because Jim aka~ 'Manic Mechanic' ripped off Pirate cycles to the tune of about $5000 in un-delivered parts!

There was a once time when Jim had the 'motorized bicycle world' by the balls & no other company could compete with his prices, but he made a lot of bad personal choices & lost it all. :(

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Slimmer=410 or smaller.

Yes I have an aunt who lost a fortune to the tune of a few million dollars for the same reasons.

Venice motor bikes, do you have a suggestion?

Wheel: shimano cb110

requirements: uses 410 or regular chain. Preferably the regular sprockets.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Yeah, If you've got the cb110 hub, I'd recommend using the MM or Pirate hub adapter.. I have one of each and they're both perfect for the cb110. The sprockets could accomodate the 415, 41, but never tried the 410.

I wouldn't mess with the pineapple or the rag joint or the other style adapters.. That just my personal experience though.

One thing to check for.. if you buy a sprocket with the adapter they won't always send the correct bolts. Some are meant to accomodate the angled, countersunk holes. Some are just standard. I once received bolts meant for the countersunk holes and the sprocket didn't have them. And vice versa. So luckily I was able to swap them..

And use thread lock.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What hub does the Genesis Onyx 29" have?
Can I fit an adapter on that one?
ProDigit,
The best way to assure that the adapter will fit is to measure your hub and compare it with the sizes offered by the adapter makers. Relying on bike model is not always the best as they sometimes use different hubs on the same model bike.
A digital caliper is the easiest way and it must be accurate down to the thousands of an inch.

Tom