Exhaust Port Offset?

GoldenMotor.com

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
Hi. I have two mufflers. The stock muffler and a fat cat muffler. On my last engine, it was mounted to a certain angle that allowed both mufflers to be attached and clear the bike frame and pedal. On my new engine, the measurements are a little different and only the stock muffler can be cleared, the fat cat needs a little more room. I don't want to re-mount the engine nor do I have appropriate equipment to bend the muffler. So my question, is there a hardware piece out there I can buy to slightly offset the muffler? Or a homemade trick? Kind of like the intake offset for the carburetor but now I need one for the exhaust, thanks for reading.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Sometimes guy drill the holes out so as to turn the mounting flange slightly, this may work.
Elaboration :) "Sometimes people widen the mounting holes on the exhaust pipe slightly to have some 'wiggle room' when mounting the pipe. The added space around each stud will allow you to pivot the pipe slightly, maybe enough to fix your clearance problem."

I prefer bending the pipe, and all you need to do is find someone with a bench vise (i ride down to Big-O tires and use theirs all the time) and just take a rubber mallet and wail on the pipe till it gets to the angle you want.

The problem with drilling out the mounting holes is that if they are too big or you mess up then exhaust gasses can squeeze out of any holes.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Or instead of drilling, you can use a round file to oblong the holes the way you need it to twist. Less worry of it seeping/leaking then.

That all depends on how far you need it to move to get a good mm or two of clearance.