The Onyx 29" build

GoldenMotor.com

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Here's an update on some of the logistics of a grubee skyhawk and an onyx frame.

The first thing I had to tackle was paint. I used Rustoleum high temperature paint. I picked it up at Autozone for only 8 bucks. They had a variety so if you want a pink engine, it's covered. I would suggest to anyone new to motors, not to take it apart. Use a lot of masking tape to cover the rods and big things, and as for the holes plug them with wet toilet paper (this is ghetto, and its fragile, but works!) after that just paint. If you don't know how to paint, maybe you should just install it.

MOUNTS:
The rear mount should have been an easy fit but the bracket for it was a little too small in diameter, so to overcome this I filed the inside with a round file until it fit snugly.

this is just an example of where to file, I didn't wanna un-mount it just to show you.

The bottom large adapter 15$ extra and it worked ok. The first thing I did was remove the bolts that go into the bottom of the engine completely. After cleaning off the bottom, I attached the supplied "large frame adapter" plate to the bottom of the motor where I removed the bolts. I used 2 hex-bolts found in the Grubee skyhawk kit to do this. I don't remember what they were initially for but I ended up not needing them. After securing the plate to the motor with the 1" hex bolts I cut out 4 rectangles of old tire tube to fit the plate. and fit them under the plate as shown.

After I fit everything together i realized there was one problem, the u-bolts for the large frame adapter were a bit too long in one case, and I had to cut off about 3/4 of an inch to make it clear the engine itself.

As you can see here, the back rear thread needed to be cut.

After all those minor mods, it fit together well.

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval
Hey master shake.Have you put the rear sprocket on yet?I tried to put mine on but had problems.So i took the 29ers off and put some 26's on.It worked fine after that.I'm liken ur fron suspension.thumbs up man

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I installed a stock rag joint adapter on the 29'er rim with a bit of trouble lining up the last few bolts. I did get it after forcing things around a bit and it ran great. Sold it a few weeks ago and have heard nothing about any trouble. Be patient and it can be done without a top hat adapter.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
The Pirate Adapter

As advertised, The site says 1.003-1.008" fits the Walmart big 29er (THIS SHOULD BE WHERE THEY SHOULD HAVE WROTE MOUNTAIN BIKE)as well as the alloy 567 FW

Look, It would require re-bore' ing at a machine shop to be precise enough to fit on the hub.

Last edited:

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
The first pic looks almost the right size for your axle hub.

What size chain do you have, a 415? I can't see them machining the wrong tooth pitch.

Get your self a vernier caliper and measure your axle hub and send it back and get another one, someday.

Or get a wheel that will work, boy that is one small hub that fits on eh?

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
The KMC 415Heavy Duty BMX chain is what you want:
This is a bad price (shipping cost extortion), go to your bicycle shop, or look elswhere on ebay, just showing what the box looks like, you may need two as one is a tad short, this chain destroys chainbreakers.

And, you could always do a ....ahem..er.. rrag joint for now.

Don't give up, the heartbreak makes the reward greater.

I would also like to add that you getting the wrong adapter is not necessarily Pirates fault, they specified a certain bike and you assumed it was the same as yours.

I went through a lot of crap, (different pile) but I got my bike on the road.

My Crap

Last edited:

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Build finished.

I ended up putting in old flat rubber tire shims in everything I could, from the bolts that hold on the fenders all the way to the large frame adapter itself here is an example of the front fender mount.

A minor bend was required for the back fender because initially the chain rubbed against it. If you look closely you can see some of the initial wear.

The chain tensioner couldn't be lined up perfectly but the straightest configuration I found looked like this.

As for the back sprocket, I used 6 bolts instead of 9 and with the extra nuts i doubled up on each of the tribolt configuration. This has helped me to keep from re-tightening because the bolts lock each-other in place.

As for the gas tank A ghetto job was done by me. I just grabbed some pipe mounts and screwed em on and hoped for the best. it seems to work though. there hasn't been any slippage.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
So the bike is finished and this is what it looks like.

And as for that pirate adapter? I guess it will make an ok wall piece.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I ended up using a 29" mountain bike front end also made by the genesis company. I'd like to buy another set of forks as well. I found their website but I dont see a "parts" section. It would be nice if they could ship "parts" like the front end/ handlebars.

http://genbikes.com/

Last edited:

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
Looking good!! I've been too busy for the past few weeks to do anything with mine :( My fork looks the same one as yours. The cable front brake works OK but I could see upgrading to a hydraulic one sooner or later.

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
Nice job bro..I was eyin up one of those at walmart,,dont let anybody tell you all wally world bikes are junk!

Tom :)
Having just bought an Onex and the 29" Mt. Bike, I will just say that the frames are good. The rest of the bikes are................well..............OK but upgrades are always a good thing!! :D