Carb cleaning

GoldenMotor.com

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
simple answer... go buy a ultrasonic cleaner get some degreaser put some in with distilled water only not tap.. or use dish soap just a capfull and some viniger cap full

after you run a cycle you wash it out with bottled water blow it out with air let it sit..

and you are done.. works liek a charm i do it all the time with carbs

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Curtis,
If you can find it locally, aluminum oxide powder will work better than baking soda. It's a little more abrasive and leaves a beautiful surface. It does require a respirator or good ventilation but works faster and gives good results.

I have an air brush sized blaster made by Paache, the airbrush people, that I use for small parts. It uses about 50 psi of pressure and does a great job cleaning and puts a nice finish on aluminum, steel, copper brass, any metal actually. I've used it to clean stuff and to etch glass.
I've tried soda but it takes longer and uses more of it than the aluminum oxide.

Just a suggestion. The idea for converting an air gun for a blaster is a good one however. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Curtis,
If you can find it locally, aluminum oxide powder will work better than baking soda. It's a little more abrasive and leaves a beautiful surface. It does require a respirator or good ventilation but works faster and gives good results.

I have an air brush sized blaster made by Paache, the airbrush people, that I use for small parts. It uses about 50 psi of pressure and does a great job cleaning and puts a nice finish on aluminum, steel, copper brass, any metal actually. I've used it to clean stuff and to etch glass.
I've tried soda but it takes longer and uses more of it than the aluminum oxide.

Just a suggestion. The idea for converting an air gun for a blaster is a good one however. Thanks for sharing.

Tom
Someone also said to use Sand for cigarette urns form janitor supply. Haven't tried it but might be cheeper and more ready aveable.?.......Curt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Actually, Curt, you could use almost any abrasive in a blaster. Some materials are harder than others so it does a better job but leaves a rougher finish. Blasting media isn't really expensive. Look for 'sand blasting' supplier near you or on the net. There are products made for all types of work.

One thing to consider is the nozzle of your gun will wear out over time. The better grade of blasting guns have hardened steel or even ceramic nozzles to slow the wear. But, for occasional use that isn't a real concern.

Here's what I use. The first photo is the little air brush style and the other one I built from an air blow gun. The aluminum oxide powder comes in a 5# jar for less than $10.00.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Actually, Curt, you could use almost any abrasive in a blaster. Some materials are harder than others so it does a better job but leaves a rougher finish. Blasting media isn't really expensive. Look for 'sand blasting' supplier near you or on the net. There are products made for all types of work.

One thing to consider is the nozzle of your gun will wear out over time. The better grade of blasting guns have hardened steel or even ceramic nozzles to slow the wear. But, for occasional use that isn't a real concern.

Here's what I use. The first photo is the little air brush style and the other one I built from an air blow gun. The aluminum oxide powder comes in a 5# jar for less than $10.00.

Tom
AWESOME! All kinds of options. I like your homemade blaster a little presure going on top of the jar is that something special the elbow that hooks to the blowgun and jar ?
Curt

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I inherited a Honda scooter that had been sitting for over 10 years (with gas in it)... The carb was unbelievably bad but I got it fairly clean with the normal methods, except this tiny passage that fills the bi-starter bowl, that wouldn't come clean for nothin'....

I ended up springing for the Berryman parts dip, I think it was about $24 for the gallon paint can size container with the basket in it. After an overnight dip the bi-starter passage was clean as a whistle and that vintage scooter is running great! (after doing other work to it as well)

I mention this because it's definitely easier than blowing baking soda all over and breathing it up, and not everyone has 25 gallon compressor. The parts dip ain't exactly cheap, but its not too bad, and you can use it multiple times as long as you keep the container sealed up properly. Best thing is it will really get those small internal passages clean. If you've got an old clogged up stubborn carb the parts dip is a good way to go....

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i bought a 8.99 hand held spot blaster,baking soda is a buck a box,one box for a carb.
i do it outside with a dust mask.
can of carb cleaner spray is 9 dollars.
i haven seen anything come remotely close to the effectiveness of soda blasting.
i dont even clean the slimy goo out ,just blast away.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I inherited a Honda scooter that had been sitting for over 10 years (with gas in it)... The carb was unbelievably bad but I got it fairly clean with the normal methods, except this tiny passage that fills the bi-starter bowl, that wouldn't come clean for nothin'....

I ended up springing for the Berryman parts dip, I think it was about $24 for the gallon paint can size container with the basket in it. After an overnight dip the bi-starter passage was clean as a whistle and that vintage scooter is running great! (after doing other work to it as well)

I mention this because it's definitely easier than blowing baking soda all over and breathing it up, and not everyone has 25 gallon compressor. The parts dip ain't exactly cheap, but its not too bad, and you can use it multiple times as long as you keep the container sealed up properly. Best thing is it will really get those small internal passages clean. If you've got an old clogged up stubborn carb the parts dip is a good way to go....
Can you still get it? I bought a gal. of gumout and it don't clean like the old stuff. The good old Gov. has made them take out some cemicals and not as good anymore.........Curt
I just looked on the net and there is a couple different numbers of that product like 9996, 9950, what number is on your can?

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Can you still get it? I bought a gal. of gumout and it don't clean like the old stuff. The good old Gov. has made them take out some cemicals and not as good anymore.........Curt
I just looked on the net and there is a couple different numbers of that product like 9996, 9950, what number is on your can?
My can says 0996, I bought it from a store that didn't seem to be selling much so the can may be old. I've never used it before so I can't compare to any "back in the day" products, but it sure worked well on the scooter carb.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Just a little update I bought some of that cleaner from Wallyworld. I am trully imprest that stuff realy cleans. I had some Gunk brand and it it junk compaired to that. Did one carb and will be doing another soon....................Curt

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
IMO a soda blaster of this size is a great option!
The soda crytals actually explode on contact from the impact and bust loose whatever is on the surface.
Neato!
rc