Am I the oldest?

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What sort of price is a running but less well presented bike, perhaps something more recent like a Riga Kroha or a 5 or 11? Or has "collectoritis" struck Latvia like it has here?

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
1. Single-speed engines made in Soviet Union are much more reliable, as modern China-made engines.
but
2. Youngest of those mopeds are made 20 years ago, and all these years rural youth had used them and "repaired" using a hammer. So very few of them are in a good shape. So, most of all, if you buy Soviet singlespeed engine - you have to repair it normally. "In ordinar condition", as sold in Internet - they are running, but "on the wind and the pray".

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
English is "on a wing and a prayer". The old sports mopeds that people collect here have had the same general high standard of maintainance.

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
English is "on a wing and a prayer"
Thank you. I took this phrase from the song, and didnt knew, how it is correct written :)

In SU also - in 1957 similar parts of similar engines were better made, using also better materials. Worse in 1989. Nowdays China use nail-quality steel and dried camel feces :(

I am trying to get back to topic - older one is better one :) :)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
One useful strategy when buying things is to buy the Mk2 version of something, all the problems of the Mk1 are removed, and the accountants haven't yet reduced both quality and cost from the Mk3.