Next Board Tracker with odd motor?, ideas needed..

GoldenMotor.com

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
Some of you remember me from Guzzi "Neva-Lost" thread. Bike is doing well and has logged many, many miles now.

However it served as a practice to get feet wet and understand some basic principals of bike building and did I ever lean a lot. I think I am slowly looking into a new project and this is where I could use your guys help....

Some of you have posted pictures of tiller motors and god knows what. This is EXACTLY what I am looking for. This time I would like to build a bike that will fool people to believe that IT IS old.

So, please throw me the oddest motors you know (please, NO new stuff...), beehive cylinders, twins, whatever. Snowmobile, 2-cycle, 4-stroke, tiller, old snow blower, whatever, as long as it has "vintage look". This way I can start searching the motor. HP is not that critical, since "Neva-Lost" had only 1 HP. The more, the merrier, of course.

Any tips on frames would be greatly appreciated too. I may purchase a frame kit and modify it to my needs.

Yes, the question might be better off at the "Engine-forum", however this is for a specific Board Tracker project, so this actually is the right forum, hahahahaha....weld

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
The first pik is a 29CI Gravely out of a walk behind tiller they take some time, money and effort to use. However they are a High torque powerhouse. This one dates early 40's. This engine started production in 1938 and was virtually unchanged till they went out of production in 1976. The 2nd is a jacobsen 5hp from 1980 stripped down itll pass for OLD. It comes out of a 24in? snoblower 143cc and is a 2 smoker. If you have something particular in mind ask me I have 100's of small engines

Attachments

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yep, I remember your Guzzi.
You do really nice work!

IMO, an engine conversion would be the most rewarding for you.
I can't recall the guys name, or his vid name, but someone will...

He used a VW cylinder and piston with the rod grafted to an air compressor crankcase.
The VW head was welded up and converted to an atmospheric intake valve.

It was rather down n' dirty, not really too difficult, and made a great looking motor.

His youtube vid shows him motoring on down the street at a decent clip...

Sry I can't be more specific...

Best
rc

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Here is a pic my Dad took on his current trip through America (destination Indian) via northern America.
Story goes the owner of this bike built this as a kid in the fifties and then restored it recently.
I don't really don't know what you are ultimately after but if all else fails, a vintage Briggs & Stratton is always cool and if you canfind one from the 20's or 30's they really look like motorcycle engines.
Something to think about

Attachments

Rakkassan34

Nov 2, 2012
Kentucky
I know it's not a new idea and probably not different but I just posted about my scrapyard find of two 1050's chainsaws. I liked the look of the round cooling fins so I picked them up. Cost a whopping $16 for the pair. Both cranked and had good compression. I can't wait to get them running. I'm going to use one for my next build and I do need a chainsaw.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've watched it a few times before, and it really brings home the comparative speed of those old bikes. Faster than a horse, and it didn't need so much storage or upkeep.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Budfab is the master. Honestly... Hand fabricated motor cases? I agree with Rick. The Gravely has "THAT" look. Round bottem case and all.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have something which is part observation, part question.

Markers of early engines include exposed pushrods and/or valves and belts or chain driven dynamos in front or behind of the engine; sometimes with the contact breakers on the dynamo.

How much work would it be to take a modern 4 stroke, remove the metal (inc all covers) from the pushrods/valve stems and seal all the oil feeds and leaks, so giving you modern metal and engineering? It should be easy enough to fake a crankshaft end dynamo rotor, just the leaks cwould be the problem.

Buddfab did it to operate the exhaust valve on that bike. This one went probably further, and throws out some ideas: http://www.ratbike.org/albion.php

Logically, an old 2 stroke with modern oils and some internal improvements is the easiest route, but if you want to, you can really go to town on it.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Final idea of the night - why not cut/carve/mill the corners off a square fin barrel? They're only a cosmetic leftover from the past.

Rakkassan34

Nov 2, 2012
Kentucky
Final idea of the night - why not cut/carve/mill the corners off a square fin barrel? They're only a cosmetic leftover from the past.
I don't have a lot of experience but I did work at a race car shop when I was younger and the man I worked for had a full bodied VW bug running 9sec in the 1/4 mile. It may not be fast by today's standards but this was in the 60's. He used to make his own cylinders out of steel pipe and tack weld cooling fins on them. It may sound like a lot of work but this guy had the time,skills and hated to spend money. I have thought of rounding the square cooling fins myself but after researching I've heard it causes over heating problems.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I know it's not a new idea and probably not different but I just posted about my scrapyard find of two 1050's chainsaws. I liked the look of the round cooling fins so I picked them up. Cost a whopping $16 for the pair. Both cranked and had good compression. I can't wait to get them running. I'm going to use one for my next build and I do need a chainsaw.
I like your idea big old thumper just like the big old singles on most of the old bikes. I am going to have to keep a eye out for one...........Curt

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Budfab is the master. Honestly... Hand fabricated motor cases? I agree with Rick. The Gravely has "THAT" look. Round bottem case and all.
Velo these Gravely's are cool and if you have it in your build budget they're a good deal for what you get when youre done. For example The one Im doing is being completely rebuilt with .030 over Chrysler flat 6 piston. Stainless valves, reground cams same lift longer duration. A little port work, copper head gasket. Balanced crank. Custom milled oil sump/gearbox, this must be used, it supports the inboard side of the crank as well as giving the oil that is sloshed around by the crank/rod somewhere to go. They have a internal gear driven oil pump that produces 30 psi. Ill have 30CI w/9-10hp @ 2100 rpm or so and lots of torque 3.5in stroke on this baby. All said and done right around a grand spent. Lot better then what an original or even a repop would cost you. Ive used these tractors before they are a BEAST.