Felt 4 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

cdavid67

Apr 4, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA.
Hello all. I finished my latest build (Felt Back in Black). Please click on my login name and check out my gallery. This build definitely had some issues but it rides awesome now. I had chain alignment problems and 2 separate fuel leaks! I had to pull the wheels and forks off to mount it back on the bike stand to clean out tank and re-seal it. The Caswell sealer was too thin at the headset and popped through one of the holes. Imagine my horror when I looked down to see fuel pouring out of the lower headset bearing race onto my new springer forks. :-||
I used the SBP shift kit because it has a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub that works perfect for my area with many hills. It's even easy to pedal. brnot
You may notice in my 1st build I used a EZM trans but I couldn't use that with the shift kit. I'll use it on my 3rd build. Boy this hobby is addictive!
Hope you like it and feel free to ask any questions about the build.

cdavid67

Apr 4, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA.
Thanks JonnyR!
Very rewarding when I first rode it. My first project was a 1951 Cleveland Welding with a different style of springer fork. Well, that thing was a tank! The old style cruiser suspension was not designed for the weight of these motorized components and flexed like crazy. Dangerous flex! That's the main reason I tore it down to build this one.

Stoney

Jan 23, 2009
santa barbara
Turned out very nice! The 3 speed takes the hills no problem? Also with the shift kit , You are saying that it is easy to pedal as a bike as well? What kind of hills (%) you have? and what is the speed in each gear? What is your "Climbing" procedure !st all the way etc. Hope I didn't ask to many or too stupid questions

cdavid67

Apr 4, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA.
No such thing as a stupid question. Unfortunately I don't really know how to measure a grade for % but I just listen to the motor. It takes a pretty steep hill in 1st but can't be in a hurry or it'll over rev the motor. I am finding that 2nd is sufficient for most mild to medium grade hills. Even 2nd can be a bit low. I don't have a speedo yet but I think it cruises very comfortable about 20-25. The shifter is interesting because it's not like a motorcycle. There is no downshifting to slow down. Strictly brakes with this setup. Up shifting is cool because you just twist the shifter while you speed up and it's a nice smooth shift into next gear.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
If you have an iPhone (and I would assume android would work too) you can calculate % of grade fairly easy. The percent of grade is the "rise over run times 100" or in trig terms the tangent x 100. So then, download a Clinometer app to measure the angle as you ride in real time. Note the angle. Take the tangent and multiple by 100. If you are using the phone as the calculator you'll need to download an app for the trig. Not sure why anyone would care too much but there it is!

Nice looking bike by the way!

cdavid67

Apr 4, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA.
Thank you Aleman. Right now, I have to say I prefer the 4G. I like the way it engages and quite frankly, I think it looks much better. I know the battle rages on for function over form but hey, why can't we have both?
To be totally fair, I don't think I gave my EZM a chance to break in completely before I dismantled my Cleveland Welding bike. I had to rev it up quite a bit before it slowly let out like an old 70's Datsun with a fried clutch. I am looking forward to using it on my next build and giving it another chance.
I know everyone in these forums that owns a EZM seems to love them so I know they're a great product. Quenton has offered so much support and good information that is well respected. I know he is constantly improving the design. ie. the new steel pulley. I wonder if there may be a redesigned cover in the near future??

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The slow take-off is normal for a Q-matic and 49cc engine, especially with the 56T sprocket. I rode my brother's GXH50+Q-matic bike for a little over a month while I was building my shifter 4G and the slow take-off on his bike was maddening sometimes - especially if I had to take off on any kind of uphill slope! The Q-matic is a great cruising system once the clutch locks up tho, and it's very smooth and noob-friendly.

Once I got my shifter 4G built, I was amazed at it's acceleration. It just hooks up better, there's no disconnected feeling between the engine and bike.

As for a redesigned cover, I don't see a full-coverage cover being designed that will improve it's looks much lol

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The slow take-off is normal for a Q-matic and 49cc engine, especially with the 56T sprocket. I rode my brother's GXH50+Q-matic bike for a little over a month while I was building my shifter 4G and the slow take-off on his bike was maddening sometimes - especially if I had to take off on any kind of uphill slope! The Q-matic is a great cruising system once the clutch locks up tho, and it's very smooth and noob-friendly.

Once I got my shifter 4G built, I was amazed at it's acceleration. It just hooks up better, there's no disconnected feeling between the engine and bike.

As for a redesigned cover, I don't see a full-coverage cover being designed that will improve it's looks much lol
As soon as you let off the throttle on my 4G the clutch disengages immediately. This is a good thing when going down long, steep hills as you don't over rev the engine......you can just coast and idle. On the other hand while cornering when the rear-end is pitched sideways under power and you need to back off the gas a bit........and then get back on it, that's another story. The EZM doesn't present you with that little problem, which can be a very good thing.

I like them both for different reasons on the little 49cc bikes.

dnut

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
That's true the 4G disconnects off-throttle (unless freewheeling is disabled), but under power it feels more connected to the bike than the Q-matic, IMO.

The greatest benefit to a Q-matic as I see it is that it's easy on the bike. It doesn't beat up chains or sprockets as much as a 4G will.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That's true the 4G disconnects off-throttle (unless freewheeling is disabled), but under power it feels more connected to the bike than the Q-matic, IMO.

The greatest benefit to a Q-matic as I see it is that it's easy on the bike. It doesn't beat up chains or sprockets as much as a 4G will.
Or whimpy belts ;) I like em both.....just running the EZM lately :)

Mind you I've only managed to snap one belt so far on the 4G.......not bad at all for how hard I ride. More than 18,000mi. on the 4G......punishing miles at that.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
I wouldn't call a 4G belt wimpy. Sure it'll snap if a rock gets between belt and rotor, but other than that they are quite durable. With some belt dressing they will last quite a while. I haven't broke one yet, but I'm on my second belt. My first belt developed hundreds of little cracks all over it. I then beat the heck out of it trying to see if I could break it, but it held solid. I replaced it, but I carry it as an emergency spare.

Back in 2010 ocscully from here contacted me and asked if I had an extra 4G belt he could buy from me. He had over 12K miles on his original belt and it was in bad shape. He rode his bike out to my family's shop and then installed one of my extra belts. His old belt was missing a bunch of teeth, was starting to separate in a couple places, but somehow it still held up. I have a picture of it somewhere on here, but I can't find it atm.

My brother's Q-matic has 1/3 the miles my 4G has and he's on his 5th belt. Part of that is he has one of the first production Q-matics, tho. He had some bad pulleys.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
And the moral of this story? Did you not get the gist of my post? Sorry op.....very nice Felt you have there(^)

I wouldn't call a 4G belt wimpy. Sure it'll snap if a rock gets between belt and rotor, but other than that they are quite durable. With some belt dressing they will last quite a while. I haven't broke one yet, but I'm on my second belt. My first belt developed hundreds of little cracks all over it. I then beat the heck out of it trying to see if I could break it, but it held solid. I replaced it, but I carry it as an emergency spare.

Back in 2010 ocscully from here contacted me and asked if I had an extra 4G belt he could buy from me. He had over 12K miles on his original belt and it was in bad shape. He rode his bike out to my family's shop and then installed one of my extra belts. His old belt was missing a bunch of teeth, was starting to separate in a couple places, but somehow it still held up. I have a picture of it somewhere on here, but I can't find it atm.

My brother's Q-matic has 1/3 the miles my 4G has and he's on his 5th belt. Part of that is he has one of the first production Q-matics, tho. He had some bad pulleys.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Read it again until you get it if you need to. I got the gist of yours, just adding info in there for the OP. It's not all about you or I :p

Indeed :D
I was joking about the 4G belt as opposed to the AX-25 v-belts. You know I like both tranny's and recommend either one. I think we're still on the same page here? :D