Can't run Titan with choke off

GoldenMotor.com

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
It starts with the choke on, but after letting it warm up and try turning the choke off the motor shuts off.

Please help. Need this bike for work =/

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
It's one of 2 things: either there's an air leak or the engine is getting too much or too little fuel. Best way to figure out which is to do a "plug chop"

The cold/hot difference usually points to fuel. How many turns out is your fuel/air screw? Your float could be sticking, too.

The HS carbs are real sensitive, they need to be kept clean and it helps to have an aftermarket air filter element.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Well I got engine used, had less than 5 hrs on it...
Left it sitting in my garage for a couple months till I had time to install it...
Cleaned out my carb today, not sure what the definition of a good carb cleaning will be or how to do it.

I'll post a picture tomm of how close the tank is, if it is a problem idk were to put my tank then.

I don't think the valves have been adjusted, but that's why I got the feeler gauge. So can that cause my problem?

Also their a little adjusting needle on the side? What the factory adjustment for that?

Any help will be appreciated, new to these four strokes as you can tell.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The mixture screw can vary, but a good ballpark setting is 2-2.5 turns out. Just screw in that little brass screw til it bottoms out lightly, then out 2-2.5 turns.

Valves being out of adjustment is only part of the problem. They are usually off from the factory and need to be rechecked every month or so.

I recommend doing a "plug chop" so you know if you have an air leak or just getting too much fuel. Either way it can cause the problem you're having. Since you pulled the carb off, it's possible you have an air leak. There are 3 gaskets on a GXH50/HS/Titan intake and if they're in the wrong order or in poor shape, it can also cause your problem.

For now, a plug chop should be done. Keep us posted!

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Here's a video from DAX on how to clean the Titan carb slow jet:

http://thatsdax.com/INSTALL_AND_SERVICE_VIDEOS_PAGE_2.html

Since it's been sitting for a while and you don't know the previous history, it may be the carb needs a good cleaning. Get rid of your old gas. Since you live in California, could also be Ethanol in the gas and you need to add a stabilizer. I had a Arborist tell me a few years ago to use only Chevron gas in small engines. I believe he stated Chevron didn't use Ethanol in their gas to meet pollution guidelines.

Here's a couple post on the other forum on a "Titan Choke" search:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?24352-Titan-wouldn-t-idle&highlight=titan+choke

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?22040-Titan-won-t-idle&highlight=titan+choke

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue