Where can I get a sprocket ready hub\wheel with drum brake

GoldenMotor.com

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
Hi everyone, I'm new here, been lurking for a while.

I've seen a few bikes that have a rear wheel that's sprocket ready hub and drum brake. I see the bike on the front of Sportman's site has this and some have said they got one there, but I looked on their site and don't see a sprocket ready hub that has a drum brake, just a coaster brake version. Am I missing something on their site or is this a special request item? Would be nice if I could get it in black too. I'm ready to build a 4 stroke Felt and it would be nice to have front and rear drum brakes.

I have seen this but people say the band brake is not good.>
http://spookytoothcycles.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_ac

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My advice would be to contact Sportsman, Pat, and ask him. He'll be able to answer any questions about his products better than anyone.
Tom

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
Yeah, I plan on contacting them but wondering if anyone else sells these or has other options that don't require a hub sprocket adapter and has good brakes.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
find an old spoked moped wheel. they use a 36 hole hub, freewheel on the pedal side, and a sprocket mounted on the motor side.

you can find them on ebay for pretty cheap, and there's tons of sprockets available from 30's to 60t.

pull the hub out and lace it up in whatever size bike rim you want...

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
Thanks for the answers guys. It does say on Sportsman's site that they offer the rear drum brake option but there is no tel # on the site so I sent mail asking for price info. The moped wheel is an option if I can't buy something ready to go.

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
That has a band brake, I hear the hub is very good but many say the brake isn't very good. Anyone here use this freewheel hub and is happy with the band brake? I would use it along with front drum brakes.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
How fast are you planning on going? Most of the time a standard coaster brake on a heavy duty wheel will do the trick. Maybe a HD wheel, hub adapter, with sprocket from Pirate cycles or Sportsman.

What you need is stopping power up front. I'd recommend a drum or disk brake.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I'm actually re-considering coaster brakes.
Re-consider because coaster brakes have NEVER failed on me when I was a kid.
(neither did any other brake)

With CB you are pretty much consigned to a single speed I believe? But that's OK because my MB gears are disabled (no cables hooked up) to one speed anyway and 85% of the time that's OK.

I will use rim brakes in the front.

Question, will CB's fit in a regular mountain bike frame?

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
How fast are you planning on going? Most of the time a standard coaster brake on a heavy duty wheel will do the trick. Maybe a HD wheel, hub adapter, with sprocket from Pirate cycles or Sportsman.

What you need is stopping power up front. I'd recommend a drum or disk brake.
Right now the bike has a Nessus 3 speed hub, it doesn't look like anyone makes a hub adapter to use with this and I don't want the hassle or expense of adding a shift kit. So I need to change out a brand new hub (came with bike) , I like the idea of a hub that has the sprocket connected directly and figured I might as well go for one with a drum brake. Using a CB wheel is my fall back plan.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
nice hub , but I had that exact band brake on my trike , to be breif, band brakes suck , monster scooter parts has a real nice drum brake assembly that I have now an I love it .
Gary

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Awesome price, too bad the shipping to Canada is $32.04.
Thanks Canada Post.

Anyway, do you bolt this (the drum) directly to the HT sprocket?
Do you have to drill holes?

I will use this post to get this for reference should I decide to contribute to Canada Posts retirement fund and falling revenues.

They wonder why people mail less stuff now, sheesh!

Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
drill 1 hole in your frame an you will need a hub adaptor similar to this one, here is where you may have to make a part that hub adaptor is for a trike axel someone else here may be able to steer you to a actual part that bolts on but it will look similar to this one an it is also left handed thread , so you must place it on the axel so that it is always tightening while brake pressure is applied . hope this helps ya out . or you could use a flipflop hub from a bmx bicycle its already threaded on both sides.
Gary

Attachments

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/scooter-drumc-brakes.html
sorry I forgot that part ...duhhhh...
Anyway that brake looks just like the band brake , but its not , its a well built peice its over all construction is heavy duty . an its priced right .
Gary
could you use this on a front wheel? this is much cheaper than a regular bicycle drum brake. I was going to order a front wheel with drum brake, but this could be a much more affordable alternative. if its made for a scooter, it should certainly be heavy duty enough for a motorized bicycle.