Pantera and SBP Shift Kit.

GoldenMotor.com

Terry

Jun 11, 2012
Virginia
Hi Terry from Virginia here. Just posted in the "Welcome" forum and noted that I should ask questions in the proper forum. Well, actually I noticed it a little late and had to edit that one and bring my questions here! I am ordering a Micargi Pantera 7speed with cantelever brakes for my first build. I want to put a SBP shifter ont the bike.Does anyone know what the seat tube and front tube (downtube?) diamiters are on this bike? Bike buyers were kind enough to check using a ruler and sighting in but I'd feel better if some one had checked with a caliper before I go ordering shift kit that may be the wrong size. Guess I can check myself when the bike gets here but I wanted to have everything together about the same time so I can get started. I was also considering a springer front fork but having a hard time finding one with cantelever mounts. Pirate Cycles has one but it's not in stock at this time. Thanks Terry.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
From what I know, as long as your seat tube had over 1.5 inches from the back of the tube to the rear tire, you were good. I would obviously make sure the bike has enough room for both motor and SBP shift kit.

But, even if you do, you need to make sure the tire is far enough away from the seat tube, or else it won't matter.

Hope it works out for you.

Cheers

Terry

Jun 11, 2012
Virginia
Thanks, I see what you are saying. I know KC's bikes had done one with an SBP shifter so I believe the clearance for the tire should be good though. I was looking for the diameter of the tubes themselves in order to get the correct mount to fit the tubes. I was hoping somone might have a Pantera and be able to check. I guess the best thing is just to wait for the bike and check it out, THEN order the kit. Thanks, Terry.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
what terry is saying is that when you order the sbp kit, you have to select the size seat tube your bike has, because they have different size clamps for the rear mount. I dont know what size seat tube the pantera has, but in the case of ordering a shift kit, you really ought to have the bike first so you know the parts in the kit will fit the bike you have, not the other way around. Otherwise you would be ordering a shift kit with certain size mounts, then trying to find a bike that those mounts would fit. Probably not as easy as ordering the right size mounts for the bike you already have.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Don, I still dont think you're quite getting it. Its nothing to do with frame clearance. The tube that goes from under your seat to your bottom bracket is called your seat tube. On different bikes, they are different diameters. When you install a shift kit, your rear engine mount is clamped to your seat tube with exhaust clamps. sbp includes different size clamps for different diameter seat tubes with the shift kit. order the wrong size clamps, and you wont be able to properly install a shift kit. so, when you order a shift kit, you need to know the diameter of your seat tube so that you can order it with the proper size clamps to clamp your engine mount to your seat tube.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While that is a point to consider - remember that as the mounts are nothing more than commonly available pipe clamps, if you end up with the wrong size it's not a big deal at all... any decent hardware store will have them for just a coupla bucks.

BTW - while such clamps are secure, tightening them enough to make sure there's no movement and/or the periodic height adjustment needed to tension the secondary chain (jackshaft to freewheel) can lead to creasing/kinking the seat post tube if you're not careful - yet if you get clamps that are one size over you can do this simple mod to protect the tubing, it's just some mild steel pipe with the same inner diameter as the seat post tube's outer diameter & cut in half - no welding necessary, tho I added a tack here & there to keep the bits from moving about during height adjustment;

Terry

Jun 11, 2012
Virginia
Thanks all. BarelyAwake Thanks for the tip. I didnt realize the seat tube was thin here. Would you recomend doing the same on the front mount on the downtube? I'm going to order SBP's front mount bracket, to accomadate the curve on the panera's downtube. As far as the rear mount, I was concerned that the the Ubolt holes in the mount may be drilled a different widths to account for a wider Ubolt.
Thanks again, Terry.

vinnie

May 24, 2009
Washington DC
Terry,

Did you ever end up doing the build? I am thinking of doing the same exact build. Let me know if you have any pointers - It would me greatly appreciated