need help with tire / chainstay clearance issue. pics included.

GoldenMotor.com

beltbuckle

Aug 22, 2011
Meridian, ID
So I am putting on Maxxim Hookworms (26 x 2.5), mounted on Husky 26 x 2.125 rims, on a 1955 AMF Roadmaster frame.

The issue is that the tire needs more clearance near the front of the bottom chainstay where it tapers in to the bottom bracket. The tire was rubbing but I trued it up a little and now there is 1-2mm of clearance. I need a little more clearance.

chainstay_prb

So option 1 is to grind/notch the inside of the chainstay tubes, and weld in some kind of reinforcement.

Option 2 would be easier but wanted to get some feedback. If I could just move the tire back 1/4" it would help quite a bit with the clearance issue. So I thought I could just drill some holes and elongate the slot where the hub mounts, like this.

slot (unmodified)

chainstay_orig

proposed modification:

chainstay_mod

Anyone see any problem elongating this dropout slot a bit?

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well if it was my bike (and situation, which it's not) I would spend the extra dollars and invest in 24" rims and run the 24"x2.5" Hookworms and save the leftovers for a future build. I understand you may be on a limited budget as most people are, but that is what I would do. A cheaper and equally acceptable option would be to elongate the drop-outs as you already know and Joe emphasized........a good solution.

The other solution would be to run 1.9" tires.......not quite the same results however. Have at it ;)

dnut

beltbuckle

Aug 22, 2011
Meridian, ID
yeah, hindsight being 20/20 and all... that probably would have been the better way to go. but after dropping the cash for the hookworms and the husky wheels, sturmey archer hub, etc. got to make it do.

On to the next problem!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
yeah, hindsight being 20/20 and all... that probably would have been the better way to go. but after dropping the cash for the hookworms and the husky wheels, sturmey archer hub, etc. got to make it do.

On to the next problem!
Here's a little food for thought: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=32789&page=20

Yes, all problems can and will be solved......that's half the fun of building these creations.

.wee.

beltbuckle

Aug 22, 2011
Meridian, ID
Thanks Scotto. Finally got my tubes in and tires mounted and the seat came in. starting to look like a bike again. as soon as my sportsman crankset comes in i can start getting the engine mount figured out.

20120521_074627.jpg

Love these hookworms! They have some amazing grip.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
looks to me like you will need to spread your tail section a bit, also. Not too difficult to do.
the bicycle tubing bend really easy. bend it out at the very front, for the sidewall clearnce, then back in again to fit your hub dimensions.
rc