Sneak peak at new project

GoldenMotor.com

prdesign

Oct 5, 2011
High Point NC
This is the same lines of thought that I have been having. But I think it will be a motorcycle build not a bike build I'm all for it. I have been looking at Puch 250's Twingles.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
And from tiny acorns mighty oaks do grow...

I see the jump to actual cycle building as the natural evolution of the dedicated DIYer’s here...

Imma looking forward to this one!

-Kirk

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Yes, I agree, a natural progression. The main reason I am doing it is that when my motorcycle friends want to go riding they don't need to keep it under 45mph for me to keep up, Lol. You know, freeways and such. The Sportster engine comes in two flavors, 883cc's and 1200'cc. The 883 has 55hp and the 1200 has 75hp. They are dimensionally the same size on the outside, just longer stroke. You can pick up these engines on Ebay all day long for $1500-$1600 plus around a $200 freight charge. The nice thing about the Sportster engines is they already contain the transmission and they are the bulletproof Harley engine. No problems at all. The Big H twin cam engine has all sorts of problems with cranks coming apart because they are pressed together, not welded, bearings that are not hard enough, cam chain tensioners that wear out quickly and put metal shavings all over the engine ruining it, etc. The little Sportster engine is smallish, very narrow, relatively light for a full size engine, easy to work on, and lasts and lasts. Oh, it has the classic V-twin sound because it is, well, a V-twin :p. I'll convert it to carburetor from EFI and convert it from belt final drive to chain. It doesn't have a kick start on it, just electric. I could put one on but it is too expensive for what I would get out of it. I'm going to combine elements from 1914-1917 Harley Davidson, Indian, and other bikes in the early days. It may have a bicycle crank pedal that would just be for show. I still need to figure out how to do it. I was going to get classic 22" rims and 28" antique tires but for safety and cost (clinchers are dangerous because if they get low on air the tire will come off the rim completely instead of just deflating), I will use 21" rims front and rear with 27" modern speed rated tires. They are a lot less expensive and still look the part. Probably disk brakes. Solo saddle, maybe twin solo saddle for two-up riding that can disconnect.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
is it a china motor? or a pre 86 american made motor? because i would not buy a china made harley motor, they have a problem with the rear cylinder sleeve sliding in the jug.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
"China Made"? Lol, I see you are from Wisconsin, I understand now. Pride. It's a 2005, so it may have some parts made in foreign Countries, but it's Mostly American. Actually, the Evolution engine is credited with saving HD as a company and repairing the tarnished image AMF left them. I'm completely fine with my engine choice. The engine came out of a running bike with 6k on it, so I'm not worried.

Here is a Website of a guy that did the same type of thing I am trying to do.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2...arley-davidson-replica-from-a-1979-sportster/

monark

Feb 1, 2012
sweden
nice choise of engine, me like! dont know much about HD but the 883 is a classic engine so go for it. A bike ive been looking at is swedish firm SE service that took home the 2007 world championchip at sturgis with a board tracker built on a knuckelhead bottom?! just a humungus engine and 2 wheels.dont know how to link so you have to google on that one

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
"I will use 21" rims front and rear with 27" modern speed rated tires. They are a lot less expensive and still look the part."

Youre probably already aware but i just thought id share something MrB told me as another option, older Honda XL's had 23" front wheels. These are bigger and would look a LOT better then the 21" rims. Only downside is the lack of tyres available, although they do sell 23" tyres for Harleys, i wonder if they fit, ive never looked into them because im not interested in a modern style tyre for my purpose..... and maybe because you are running such a heavy motor you probably require more then 36 spokes, youd need more spokes like Harley wheels wouldnt you?????????

Cant wait to see what you come up with..... have you been practicing with your lathe? Do you plan on using it for this build?.... I also hope you keep a detailed build thread like your last one. Looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
"I will use 21" rims front and rear with 27" modern speed rated tires. They are a lot less expensive and still look the part."

Youre probably already aware but i just thought id share something MrB told me as another option, older Honda XL's had 23" front wheels. These are bigger and would look a LOT better then the 21" rims. Only downside is the lack of tyres available, although they do sell 23" tyres for Harleys, i wonder if they fit, ive never looked into them because im not interested in a modern style tyre for my purpose..... and maybe because you are running such a heavy motor you probably require more then 36 spokes, youd need more spokes like Harley wheels wouldnt you?????????

Cant wait to see what you come up with..... have you been practicing with your lathe? Do you plan on using it for this build?.... I also hope you keep a detailed build thread like your last one. Looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stock Sportsters take 36 spokes.

I posted this video before, but this Indian uses 21" rims and 27" tires and is perfectly proportioned. This is the look I'm shooting for. I'm even going to have a similar fork. I like springers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXlg8cm00GY&list=FLW7Cdv0p2bsNoZJGbL3IIDQ&feature=mh_lolz

Modern tires are a big deal to me. I need it to have speed rated tires. This bike will realistically be able to hit 100mph + and I need to survive.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Cobrafreak I do realize you want modern tyres to run fast, that's why I commented that they make modern 23" tyres for front Harley wheels, I just haven't checked whether they definitely fit. if you want the 21's that's fine, just checking that you were aware of the 23" option.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
A lot of Harleys and Harley "baggers" are putting BIG front wheels on them, they say they are 23", im only guessing the are the same as the Honda 23" rims, as i said im after vintage tyres because i dont aim on going very fast, so youd have to check whether they will fit.... but i think its worth your while to look into them, i think it would make a massive visual difference.

Here is an example of the 23" wheels they are using on Harleys so i cant imagine tyres are hard to come by for them

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/23-Chrom...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1144d28f

23" tyres, im not sure i like this tyre but im guessing if you hunt around youll find a nicer one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Avon-Cob...90?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item53e9bdf802

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PIRELLI-...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35affd6ee3

The Honda XL 23" wheels are a little harder to find but ive been watching EBay for over a month and they do show up, somewhere around the US$100 for a complete wheel which isnt too bad IMO.