Buddfab's Maytag Bike

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hi new guy here.
I found this forum while looking for info.
I now have collected a Maytag 72d off ebay, a Worksman INB, Timeless cycles rear belt pulley, Jos. Lucas Carbide Headlamp, vintage seat to recover, and a couple of other goodies. I have already cut the frame up for modifications.

Build thread coming soon..
Oh boy! Welcome to the forum...

Msrfan, about how many CDs would the twin have? Hsp? Slow revving?
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Oh boy! Welcome to the forum...

Msrfan, about how many CDs would the twin have? Hsp? Slow revving?
SB
Hey silverbear. They're rated at 5/8 hp and do not rev at all. They are throttle governed. You have to stop the engine to change the rpms. That's why Buddfab put a conventional carb on his. I'll have to calculate the cc's, but those pistons are pretty small.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hmmm. That sounds less than exciting. I see why he changed the carb. And the single cylinder is even more wimpy? i see why you used the Briggs on your builds. The twin looks cool, though. It would still be a fun thing, but probably not a fun thing I would do.
SB

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
5/8 hp governed at 1650 rpm, 87 cc, remove the gov. and add a suitable 2 stroke carb, clean up all fuel air passages and transfer ports, modify ignition so it can be advanced, stock it is fixed at one point.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hmmm. That sounds less than exciting. I see why he changed the carb. And the single cylinder is even more wimpy? i see why you used the Briggs on your builds. The twin looks cool, though. It would still be a fun thing, but probably not a fun thing I would do.
SB
Actually the single is rated at 3/4 hp and is hit and miss governed with a flyweight interupting the points at speed.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
SB
The Villiers aren't much more powerful at around 1hp...... But it's good to know there will be a bike that my Villiers can beat LOL

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
The Villiers aren't much more powerful at around 1hp...... But it's good to know there will be a bike that my Villiers can beat LOL
The one I am building is not for speed, if it tops out at 25 mph that is fine. I have motorcycles for the other stuff.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The one I am building is not for speed, if it tops out at 25 mph that is fine. I have motorcycles for the other stuff.
I wasn't having a go at you, I have a vintage 98cc Villiers bike and it is rather slow also, and I have a Chinagirl that would be faster but never ride it....... My Villiers is an absolute joy to ride, full of history and will be around long after all the chinagirls have been recycled into aluminum cans...... Your Maytag will be very similar. I'm looking forward to seeing this no matter what it's top speed is

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
I have looked at your Villiers quite closely and like it alot, you did a great job. I like that engine for the same reason I like the Maytag, the uniqueness.

As for the speed of this, I didn't take it that you were having a go, sorry if I sounded that way.
I have a few factors which are known, such as tire size, rear pulley size, engine pulley size, approximate range of rpm, I need to run the engine on carb and see what it runs like. It will most likely have a jackshaft and those two pulleys are yet to be determined aiming for only 25 mph max. Parade speed plus that's it,

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
A bicycle with one of these engines is never going to be fast unless you and the bike are super lightweights and you run it through some sort of selectable gearset.

It's more of a "chitty chitty bang bang" novelty than a serious mode of transportation. Still, I think it would be a lot of fun.

MHF

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
A bicycle with one of these engines is never going to be fast unless you and the bike are super lightweights and you run it through some sort of selectable gearset.

It's more of a "chitty chitty bang bang" novelty than a serious mode of transportation. Still, I think it would be a lot of fun.

MHF
I rode my Villies as a serious form of transport before the police advised me I shouldn't LOL...... I could get to work (10km) in the same time it took me to drive and about half the time it takes me to ride my normal bicycle..... And it performed flawlessly and didn't require any adjustments....... I'd call that a serious mode of transport...... I'd still be using it to commute..... If it were legal :-(

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
I rode my Villies as a serious form of transport before the police advised me I shouldn't LOL...... I could get to work (10km) in the same time it took me to drive and about half the time it takes me to ride my normal bicycle..... And it performed flawlessly and didn't require any adjustments....... I'd call that a serious mode of transport...... I'd still be using it to commute..... If it were legal :-(
Remember harry, its only illegal if you get caught :)laff

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Harry, I was referring to the subject engine of this thread.... the Maytag twin. I don't mean to say they can't be used that way, but there are more practical engines to use this way.

MHF

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah I realized that after I wrote it, because we were talking about the Villiers and Maytags similarities I thought you were referring to both.... Sorry

And Charlie, I've been caught twice, just not fined....... Yet :-(

I ride with John (Buddfab) and it definitely is the "Chitty-chitty-bang-bang" kind of ride. Although we do get to around 30mph sometimes. John's Maytag is defintely the slowest to accelerate of his bikes but still plugs along at 20-25 easily. His big bore Volkswagon single cylinder bike is the fast in top speed and his china bike engine the fastest accelerator.
I have a china bike too, but because of the exhaust noise, I prefer my slant cylinder Briggs.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Boogerballs, youre the guy with the Briggs laying horizontal arent you? If so i love that bike, just wondering if you have many miles on it and if youve had any problems?

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
I ride with John (Buddfab) and it definitely is the "Chitty-chitty-bang-bang" kind of ride. Although we do get to around 30mph sometimes. John's Maytag is defintely the slowest to accelerate of his bikes but still plugs along at 20-25 easily. His big bore Volkswagon single cylinder bike is the fast in top speed and his china bike engine the fastest accelerator.
I have a china bike too, but because of the exhaust noise, I prefer my slant cylinder Briggs.
Hey, I remember browsing a thread on a slant briggs build on rrb's, how's that thing run?

The slant Briggs runs great. I've put probably 500+ miles on it and it runs as strong as ever. Never did get the belt clutch to work so I've just been using it in direct drive. The long belt is just loose enough to allow easy starts and stops and the engine starts so easily that it just takes a shove from standing to get it to start putting along. Probably keeps it from reaching its maximum top speed, but I really don't need to go over 35mph around town.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Boogerballs, the link in the first post of this thread shows the Maytag bike in a show setting. Does Mr. Buddenbaum show it very often ?

Also, since you are aquainted with him, do you think he would be willing to contribute some of his build details to this forum ?

I'm also interested in exchanging ideas with him about the atmospheric intake system on with VW cylinder single. I have a small v-twin air compressor pump I want to convert to internal combustion, possibly using a vacuum operated intake valve system.

Thanks,
MHF