Start of the 28" Board Tracker project

GoldenMotor.com

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
As promised I am starting a build thread of my new 28" Board Tracker here for those who are interested.

My 26" lowrider is fine, but way too small for me (> 6ft tall), so I thought about building a 28" tracker, which will much more fit my size and is closer to the original Indians, Popes, Jeffersons with their 28x2.5 size tires.

I have already bought 28x2.35 size tires and built a device for getting the framework right and ripped a 28" bike apart to use some of its parts.
Frame will be with 1" and 1 1/2" size tubes to make it look solid.
I have built a fork and a first handlebar prototype and will continue the framework in the next days.
Engine will not be a China girl but haven't decided yet which one to use.
There are some nice german 50cc classic engines with automatic clutch and I will check some of them. It will be mounted with its cylinder leaning back and carb in the front, exhaust in the back like the classic single cyl Indian from 1911.
If you have any comments, ideas please go in

Axel

Attachments

Last edited:

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Guten tag Axel,

I agree with you about the size...I'm 188cm (6'2") tall and even with a streched frame, 26" tires seem a bit small. Are 28" tire bicycles common in Europe ? I've never seen any here, but 29" is getting more common. Our big discount store here in America is WalMart, A.K.A. Wally World and even they have a few 29" models.

I really like your jig for setting up your frame...logical, adaptable, inexpensive. I would suggest either using it on the rims only, or make sure your tires are over-inflated. You need a solid reference point for the sake of accuracy.

Unless you're a huge fan of 2-cycle engines, look into converting a vertical shaft engine to horizontal use. I've been looking into them and I believe most would put the intake ports at the front, exhaust at the rear.....opposite of what I previously thought. Might be just the thing for this build.

MHF

Sometimes the free flowing information on this forum blows me away. That's a good thing.

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
I agree with you about the size...I'm 188cm (6'2") tall and even with a streched frame, 26" tires seem a bit small. Are 28" tire bicycles common in Europe ? I've never seen any here, but 29" is getting more common. Our big discount store here in America is WalMart, A.K.A. Wally World and even they have a few 29" models.

yep, 26" and 28" are very common in germany... you don't find any 29"

I really like your jig for setting up your frame...logical, adaptable, inexpensive. I would suggest either using it on the rims only, or make sure your tires are over-inflated. You need a solid reference point for the sake of accuracy.

tires are inflated, I have the rims as the solid reference....

Unless you're a huge fan of 2-cycle engines, look into converting a vertical shaft engine to horizontal use. I've been looking into them and I believe most would put the intake ports at the front, exhaust at the rear.....opposite of what I previously thought. Might be just the thing for this build.

...I would like to go 4-stroke but haven't found anything that looks convincing and vintage...anyway, thanks for your thoughts, Axel

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Very nice start to the project.....I have the same problem being 6ft 3.

I think the 29" rim is actually the same size as a 700cc rim but can run a much taller tyre.

You were discussing possible engines.... arent Sachs German? If so Silverbear and Fasteddy have 98cc Sachs with a 3 speed box and they are a beautiful engine

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States

...I would like to go 4-stroke but haven't found anything that looks convincing and vintage...anyway, thanks for your thoughts, Axel
There are ways to "vintage-ize" an engine. Watch this youtube video, especially from 5:20-6:20 and see how stacked aluminum plates, some aluminum heat sink material and touches of color can really change the look of an engine.

Board Track Replica - Dixie Flyer Build - YouTube

MHF

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Wie geht's Axel,

Checkout this pic:

Maybe you will get some idea's from this pic for this build or the next one!

C.H.

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
Let us know more about any German engines (& others) that you consider. Thanks.
O yeah, there are quite a lot of interesting old engines around here, mostly 2-stroke

I am between a Puch, a Sachs, some eastgerman Simson and french Peugeot, or a 4-stroke Briggs & Stratton. Note that I intend to install the engine upright or leaning back

Here are some pics:

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Be nice if you could find a old kick start Nelson,but they are supper rear here finding one there might be inposable. They have the outside push rods with overhead tapets just like the old Harlys and Indians.........Curt

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
finished the frame, you sit so much better on this one compared to my 26". It is slightly bigger but makes such a big difference. I used 1" and 1 1/2" tubes, I think the Indians had just 1" as the thickest tube.

Did some rolling tests and cannot believe the guys did 100mph with this 100 years ago- without any suspension and brakes. I felt not good going down the hill with approx 20 mph and no brakes...

Now time for the engine chase....

Attachments

Last edited:

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I love the frame geometry. It looks perfect! how strong will that tube be after all those cuts and welding?

Where are you going to get 28" clincher wheels? I would really love to know. I have a heap of 28" wheels in my garage, but none are suitable for new bicycle tyres

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
I love the frame geometry. It looks perfect! how strong will that tube be after all those cuts and welding?

Where are you going to get 28" clincher wheels? I would really love to know. I have a heap of 28" wheels in my garage, but none are suitable for new bicycle tyres
for the curved tubes I took tubes with 2mm material thickness- heavy, but very strong even after cutting and bending. The straight ones are just standard bike tubes.

I have bought dutch 28" bicycle rims with drum brakes from ebay, but haven't arrived yet.
Tires will be 28x2.35 balloon tires from Hartje or Schwalbe, the biggest available for bicycles without spending 400$ for coker oldtimer tires. They are pretty close to the original size of 28x2.5 which they mostly used for the board track racers. Of course the bicycle rims are not as wide as the motorcycle rims, but will look good I hope.

Last edited:

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
were those wheels a one off? or are there more? I am interested in buying a 28" set
well, they are used from a so called "Hollandrad", special european (dutch) style bike with thicker wheels, stronger brakes which they mostly ride in the Netherlands. Not so much into the market of this type of bikes, just saw the ebay ad and bought them. They look like this:

Attachments