Dellorto 14:12 My first carb and throttle change out

GoldenMotor.com

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Update:

I remounted the engine and added a piece of fuel hose in a part of the mount. I'll see how this goes.

Well I did run the bike up to 30 mph and it's like the NT was as far as speed.
The bike needs to accelerate and so I am fine with that aspect and I am fine with getting to 28 mph after the engine is warm and I am running fine at 26 mph.

I see the smoke so I know it's rich for this carb. I will change to 40:1 on Lucas next time I need fuel.

So far I find two things in common with the old NT. One is that it will die off after a long run at speed once in a while. By that I mean it will fail to idle but that isn't a problem. Two is that like the NT the bike shuts off after a period of idling at a stop light for example. Again this doesn't bother me it's almost a safety feature.

The way I have things set up right now is how I like it. Steady acceleration to reach 28~30 mph and it idles well which is very very cool at stop lights and such.

The funny part of this carb is now the engine at high rpms and no load ( clutch in ) sounds like a weed eater LOL.. This is a good thing.
Mostly now it sounds much more like a great engine than ever.
I noticed a real "BUZZ" out of my stinger tonight as I rode. That is different. It's a real buzz sound.

So I need to run a leaner mix. I need to do a spark plug test after I change mix ratio and will have to see what is what from there but for now all is well.

I feel fine with the Dellorto.

I do notice that warming up the engine is more important than ever. It takes a bit to warm it up now. Could be the season.

Once I have the new mix and the plug test done I will see if there is a mileage change.
I was just shy of 100 mpg for the most part and the bike carries a lot of weight.

My current review is Thumbs up for this Dellorto.
Thumbs up for Sick Bike Parts throttle (type M I think)
Thumbs down for Pirates plastic throttle. Just because it has an Italian name on it doesn't make it worth $40

Okay I'll add here as I have news.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Update:

Ran for 20 miles round trip today and into tonight.

It's too rich. I will be thinning the mix soon and see if that helps.
So it's a little boggy but not too bad,

I have no complaints.

The positives are the bike sounds like a moped now for real. It is a pleasure to listen to now as I ride.
20mph is a fine speed to listen to the buzz of the exhaust and I can say it truly is a buzz sound now.

I like the carb a lot!

As it is set up I accelerate to 30 over a distance and that suits me well.

So it is a step up from respectable into "Way Sick" as far as the running sound is concerned. I doubt people think of it as anything less than a moped as it goes by.

I have a broken rear spoke so I am not running at 30+ but so far i have no complaints. I'll remember to update when i can open it up.

Oh and the sound of deceleration is much better. I don't get the idea the engine is not getting oil and fuel and it sounds cool!

Thumbs up for this Dellorto!

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Thinner (less oil) will further richen the air/fuel mixture. Might try a little more oil in your mix. If that doesn't help it may be time to invest in a selection of main jets.

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Oh, my bad.. I am still learning.
Yeah the Pirate guy suggested that I try it as is but that I may wish to get jets so I can adjust as needed for my altitude and needs. You are right.

Might get some jets. It's doing okay here and the weather has turned cold for California.
I read, just now, that these run a bit rich @ 1/4 throttle naturally. Maybe I don't have a problem?

I just Googled and there are some guides on Dellortos as well. Here is a thread talking about it on a moped site. how to adjust the air/fuel ratio

What I read also talks about exhaust leaks and intake leaks.

I think I shall check on things here.

Like I say it's not a big deal and 1/4 throttle would be the range I was experiencing a slight boggyness. It isn't a big deal like it won't run boggy just not a responsive as I assume.
One thing is for sure it now accelerates and decelerates smoothly.

Okay other than a slight boggyness around 1/4 throttle I see now that my highway speed is a comfortable 31mph up from 28 mph.
By that I mean the engine runs right at 31 like it used to at 28.
Maybe, and I am not sure, it is slightly rich and once the engine is hot and at rpm I am getting a little more out of the run.

Last edited: