Engine Advice

GoldenMotor.com

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I have been searching for an appropriate engine for my boardtrack build. I am still considering the morini s6s. This would cost me around $700-800 (shipping cost included)

I have done more searching and found a go kart engine in my price range. A YAMAHA KT 100SE. They can produce up to 20hp and over. I would not be using any performance parts and no expansion pipe

Questions:

Has anyone used go kart engines before and had a good outcome?

would 100cc be too large? (legality doesn't matter)

Yamaha KT 100 Details

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Just a question Whitey.... have you considered a 5HP Briggs and Stratton? They are dirt cheap, they are used as a go-kart engine, they are used to power junior dragsters, and there are plenty of motor upgrades to do (i was watching Monster Garage once and they claimed these motors could produce 20+HP).

Check out some of msrfans bikes, he knows his B & S well and he has an awesome collection.

Just wanted to make sure you have at least considered them. Hope this helps.... good luck

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The KT100 is an excellent engine. There are many parts availabe for tuning even a twin carb set up. Can run on a can muffler, or any number of tuned pipes. 15hp in a mild state of tune. Starting maybe be an issue as thyey were started with an external electric starter. There may be a recoil out there but I have never seen one. Check the kart suppliers like Comet Kart sales.