Hawkeye express

GoldenMotor.com

Dagwood

Aug 4, 2011
ilinois
I see alot of what I like in this thread..but most of all....your welding table!.....I cant believe no one has said anything about it.....Jeez....what a hunk of iron! Luv it!

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
Thanks for the positive feedback guys!
As for the post...... its just a pc of hot rolled bar I had in the shop. It is actually my third attempt. I did one at 90 deg. one at 45 deg. and did this one with curved sweep to it. Not sure how it will look in the end! lol

Last edited:

baD mR fRosTy

Sep 14, 2011
Halifax
Man I have been looking EVERYWHERE for that kind of seat post.
I have found one or two that curve back about 2 inches, and of course they don't ship to Canada...but I guess making one is the only option.

Is there a po'-man way to heat and bend a normal seat post without a pipe-bender?

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
I have found one or two that curve back about 2 inches, and of course they don't ship to Canada...but I guess making one is the only option.

Is there a po'-man way to heat and bend a normal seat post without a pipe-bender?
Not real sure about bending tube without a "tube bender" but have heard stories of filling the tube with sand to help keep its form while bending. I have never really tried it. For the one pictured I used a solid bar, it sure made it much easier. I also like how sturdy the solid bar feels.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

A solid bar is the best idea. But for mine, I saw a post on here about using an old set of handle bars and cutting them where you want. I used BMX handlebars (they're pretty tough) which are the same outside diameter as a seat post. I cut them near to a tight bend with a several inches left on one end to go down into the seat tube and about three or four left past the bend for the seat to mount to. Works well, as near as I can tell.

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
Want to throw a quick shout out to the guys that have sent me parts in the last few days..

THATSDAX.. RT carb order placed and part on the bench in 3 days!! That's amazing in my book. Thank you so much.

PIRATE CYCLES.. Vintage NGK plug wire, G clips and some crazy cool cork style grips! 3 days from order to my bench! Again I feel that that is amazing service! Kids ate all the candy but that's ok.

MOTOSTRANO.. 24x3 black thick brick tires. 4 days from order to my bench sunday was in the mix. Awsome customer service with a small order issue that was my bad. Still handled the order to perfection.

VENICE MOTORBIKES.. Norm spoke to me on the phone about how he had reinforce the welds on my forks and hook up my disc brake...... I had a tracking number 2 hours after giving him my order! Imho this is truely some amazing service! I have not yet got my parts from norm. Again a sunday involved but tracking says parts will be here by day end tomorrow! (Not gunna sleep tonight!!)!

In (not so) short. I wanted to let everyone know about the service that I got from our members here. Top notch all the way!

Pictures to come. I promise

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Norm sold me forks too and failed to mention they were only spot welded. They failed. when I said we need to warn folks, he stopped replying to my emails. Before that he said If I mailed them back, he might be able to get me a refund. I didn't ask for one. I was just worried they would get folks hurt.

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
Thanks for the heads up Dan! I will surely inspect the forks closely when I get them. If needed I will do a little weld reinforcement myself. I am trying to make this build as safe and reliable as I can.