Narrowly missed disaster

GoldenMotor.com

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Had a first this morning. I was riding in town this morning and stopped at a traffic signal commonly known as a red light. I was waiting for the light to change so I could make a left turn. There was a car waiting to make a left turn on the cross street. When traffic cleared so the car was clear to turn she turned into the street that I was on. The only problem was that she was headed for my lane instead of the left lane. There was nothing anywhere around me to obscure her vision. As she headed straight for me I was sure she would see me and correct but I was wrong!!! When it was clear that she was going to hit me I yelled as loudly as I could to get her attention and was successful. she then applied brakes and gently contacted my front tire. It was an old lady who looked to be close to 90 years old. I backed my bike up and motioned her around and she was so flustered that she couldn't move and rolled her window down telling me how sorry she was. I told her I was o.k. and to move on. Then I thanked God for my safety because it could have ended very differntely.
My old airzound had bit the dust and I didn't even have a horn. I am going online now to order this Galeforce Two Tone Police/EMS Siren with 12 Volt Battery and Two Stage Charger. It has a horn and a siren. the people on Bentrider Online highly recommend it.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Glad it was not worst, I have yet to install my horn on my new daily commuter. Thanks Elmo I am gonna do it this weekend.

I have thought about it, but I like not having too much stuff on my bars and I have yet to need the horn.

You reminded me of all the times my horn saved my butt in the past.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Had a first this morning. I was riding in town this morning and stopped at a traffic signal commonly known as a red light. I was waiting for the light to change so I could make a left turn. There was a car waiting to make a left turn on the cross street. When traffic cleared so the car was clear to turn she turned into the street that I was on. The only problem was that she was headed for my lane instead of the left lane. There was nothing anywhere around me to obscure her vision. As she headed straight for me I was sure she would see me and correct but I was wrong!!! When it was clear that she was going to hit me I yelled as loudly as I could to get her attention and was successful. she then applied brakes and gently contacted my front tire. It was an old lady who looked to be close to 90 years old. I backed my bike up and motioned her around and she was so flustered that she couldn't move and rolled her window down telling me how sorry she was. I told her I was o.k. and to move on. Then I thanked God for my safety because it could have ended very differntely.
My old airzound had bit the dust and I didn't even have a horn. I am going online now to order this Galeforce Two Tone Police/EMS Siren with 12 Volt Battery and Two Stage Charger. It has a horn and a siren. the people on Bentrider Online highly recommend it.
Nearly bit my tongue when I realized the wrong side of the street the car turned to even while a biker was right there. Don't know if glare had something to do with it, or just as you say it happened for whatever. Very scary I'd have to say.

I am just for off roading, but had once long ago riding on a divided street 2 lanes each direction. The speed limit was maybe 35mph. My motor bike was going by the roads right side between right lane and parked cars at maybe 20-25mph. A car with right turn signal was to my left. I should have known better to think the car would not turn right, just in front of me.

I was alongside for a few seconds, but no notice at all. I got to tell the lady that was driving I was alright as I got up after falling over after she had stopped just after completing the turn and going maybe 10 feet. I was lucky I was able to turn at the same speed and radius with not much centrifugal weight, me and the motor bike pushing my left side of my body up against the passenger door of her car. I completely made it through the turn unscathed.

If she had just kept going I think maybe I could have eventually turned a little more when I felt stabilized and un-weighted my left side of my body from the car.

Probably stunt people do this, but not good to learn on the fly.

If I could have pulled it off and then come to a stop to go back where my intension was to go straight, that would have been something.

I also had ridden an actual motor cycle and had car turn left in front of me a bit too close.

Now I favor sealing the crank to keep moisture out after removing the pedals on the motor bike I am making for only off road.

Measure twice
.weld

rat racer

Apr 20, 2011
florence,az
I went over the high side last week no cars just loose goose neck
landed with my left arm under my ribs OUCH !! BRUISED RIBS HURT LIKE THE DEVIL I think i'll still be making the willow race but I could use some more seat time before then .

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Measure Twice there was no glare maybe couldn't see and don't need to be driving.

SB there is a horn called airzound that is loud and refilled with a tire pump. I used to have one and it saved my bacon one time. There have been some reliability issues with some folks but mine lasted about two years. If you are going to ride in traffic I think that you need a really loud horn. I guess that I was lulled into a false sense of security because I hadn't had a close call in a long time.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The air horn that fills with tire pump, I've used one like that and there OK. A bike whistle works as loud I seem to think. This thing the size of a soda can made of plastic holds the pressure in these things and there is a limited pressure that makes only so many bursts.

Just want to add there was in the past a type of small air horn that had like the full size boat hand held air horn using Freon type stuff as propellant. The problem I had was the way it was activated to blow the horn. It had a valve just like the ones on spray paint cans. The end coming out the top of the little metal can had what looked to be a rubber part with threads just like the bike valve threads. You unscrew the horn from there to replace and empty canister. Activating the horn meant pushing on the back of the horn rocking it forward, which in turn bent the rubber part just under the metal threads on top the canister to blow the horn. Inside that action made the Freon flow through the connection to the horn.

The canister of this little air horn would get a little bit cold, but not too much a problem. The problem I had was when one day the connection on top the canister, when I activated the horn completely blew off. The wearing of it before the canister was empty and the sun deteriorating the parts had something to do with it. A very bad design and if just came apart. The horn flew up a couple of feet. I had a freezing cold sensation on my hand that was previously activating the horn. I moved my head to the side and applied the brakes. I had a time trying to see my way with a V shaped cloud of freezing Freon over a foot tall coming out of the broken canister connection.

Susceptible problems like this with a connection that is not made with a safer fashion to activate the horn, in my opinion is just stupid. If you know of stuff like this being made or have one, know this can happen!

Measure Twice

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Got my horn in the mail today. That thing is loud. I will mount it on the bike tomorrow. Hope I don't get in trouble with the siren. It is so loud it hurts my ears.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
how about using part of the frame as a air tank for a horn and to air flats. just a thought... i'm sure it would hold as much as a 12oz can. of course my welds won't hold air but a real welder's should

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Obviously it was your fault. Instead of getting all in the old lady's way and scaring her nearly to death, you should have gently warned her of your idiocy with your bell.

:ride2:.girl.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Yeah I guess I am just one of those no good bikers always trying to scare old ladies. I will try to do better.