Have I lost my mind?

GoldenMotor.com

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Look what I bought. Actually, I bought it in January, but with the crappy weather, my schedule and / or being sick I haven't had a chance to trot it out and photograph it, much less ride it yet. But today all things fell in place and I put a little gas in the tank and took it for a ride.
It's a 1978 Free Spirit moped, made by Puch and sold by Sears.

PS - I took the Whizzer out for a ride as well.

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
KilroyCD, if you get on Moped Army you will be able to find a kit to add some cc's. Some of the moped parts people like Treats77 [I think it is] sell parts to do it.

Steve.

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
That thing looks to be in really nice condition. When I was 12 (I started out very young) I had a Sears Allstate 125 made by Puch. Indestructable. I think it is still running actually. Now I want it back. dnut

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Not sure if you lost your mind but I'll keep an eye out for it! How much you willing to pay to get it back? Actually that thing looks pretty nice! Have fun with it. Come down here and you could ride it year around.

Terry

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Very nice looking moped in great shape! Is that the 2 speed with an E motor?
SB
Silverbear, it's the E50 engine but it's a single speed. I may be wrong, but I believe the two speed is the ZA50 engine.

KilroyCD, if you get on Moped Army you will be able to find a kit to add some cc's. Some of the moped parts people like Treats77 [I think it is] sell parts to do it.

Steve.
Oh yeah, I've been perusing his site since I got the moped. It's www.treatland.tv moped parts superstore . He has kits to bump displacement all the way to 8occ, but 70cc seems to be the most popular. He also has high and extra high compression heads for the 50cc engine.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Barn fresh...my old man bought it in 78 ,gave it too my oldest sister to ride at school, well she promptly left for europe and stored it in a barn in neenah WI.
There it sat for what almost forty years , when that property sold i got drafted too clean barn and WOW! Went straight into van and back to shop . My sister want her daughter to have it ,but i get it for a few years till my neice gets back from over seas. Now i gota fab side car to haul dog ;)

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
Wow, Neenah, Wisconsin. That brings back memories. There was an engineering firm there that custom built packaging equipment. The place I worked had one of there box makers. My job was to keep the thing working, so I got to know the designers pretty well. Nice bunch of guys, I even forgave them for running over my foot with their Big Joe forklift. :>(

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Wow, Neenah, Wisconsin. That brings back memories. There was an engineering firm there that custom built packaging equipment. The place I worked had one of there box makers. My job was to keep the thing working, so I got to know the designers pretty well. Nice bunch of guys, I even forgave them for running over my foot with their Big Joe forklift. :>(
OT - Neenah Wisconsin also holds memories for me, as I was departing from Neenah after attending the EAA Airventure (as it's now called) Airshow in Oshkosh. It was 1988, and I remember seeing a nice looking Convair 440 sitting on the ramp, dripping oil from its radial engines. I figured it was a freight hauler, since even the feeder lines stopped using the Convair 440/540/580 series by the late 1970s.
(Yes, I'm an airplane nut...)

Helmutt Cycles

Nov 27, 2009
PHX. AZ
Look what I bought. Actually, I bought it in January, but with the crappy weather, my schedule and / or being sick I haven't had a chance to trot it out and photograph it, much less ride it yet. But today all things fell in place and I put a little gas in the tank and took it for a ride.
It's a 1978 Free Spirit moped, made by Puch and sold by Sears.

PS - I took the Whizzer out for a ride as well.
Geesh It Looks Brand new.. what a find..