Bianchi Milano 4 stroke shift build

GoldenMotor.com

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
hey yall. I just bought a used Bianchi Milano today at my local bike shop. Its a beauty. 8 speed nexus hub w/roller brake. My plan is to use a sick bike parts shift kit, and a 4g trans. I haven't decided on a engine though. honda, HuaSheng, or dax titan? I think I'll just go with the lowest priced one I can find. I want to use the 4g for the taper shaft but I know its wider than the other type 4g and may cause clearance issues with the pedals.

I talked to terry of blow by u motorized bicycles and he told me that there won't be any 4g for sale until march. Its really too bad because the bike is going to sit around with out an engine until march. :-( I'm going to try and make it to the death race in april with it. cutting it close.

Attachments

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I can't believe it. I haven't even started the project and the bike already has problems. after I finish the that first post I went for a ride on the bike and now there is a grinding noise in 5th gear. I can't believe it!!!!! I really hope my local bike shop adjust it or something. dang it. I really hope they did not sell me a lemon.

Reactions: UtiliD

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
yeah I checked it. I made a template that SBP had in their instructions. I have a 22" frame and it fits with room to spare. I'm thinking a fuel bottle gas tank would look cool on this bike.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I'm using a 5/8" shaft HS142F and Honda-style 4G on a SBP shift kit to 3-speed hub. The difference between 4Gs can definitely affect whether you have pedal clearance or not. Mine barely fits, and I had to shave down the cover and mounting holes.

Titan + 4G will be much wider than HS142F + Honda 4G.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I want to use the wider 4g trans that has bearings on the drive shaft. I know its wider but I'm thinking that a combination of the wide SBP axle and the bent cranks that come with the grubee wide three peace crank will be enough to clear.

Is friction on the bell house bushing on the honda 4g trans from belt tension a problem? seems like there would be a lot of friction from the belt tension and there needs to be bearings on it.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
I want to use the wider 4g trans that has bearings on the drive shaft. I know its wider but I'm thinking that a combination of the wide SBP axle and the bent cranks that come with the grubee wide three peace crank will be enough to clear.

Is friction on the bell house bushing on the honda 4g trans from belt tension a problem? seems like there would be a lot of friction from the belt tension and there needs to be bearings on it.
I think you may be right that the SBP BB and the Offset Cranks will probably clear the wider HS motor and 4G drive combination.

I too am running a Honda GXH50 with the 4G for Honda unit on the SBP 4-stroke shift kit and am very pleased with how it performs. The bushing for the clutch bell on the output shaft from the motor is a problem area. It will not maintain lubrication, and when it gets dry it causes enough drag to stall the motor at idle or when coming to a stop. It has been said by others that the stock bushing is not real Oilite bronze and recommend a replacment bushing that is sold at McMaster Carr. I tried these bushings and was less than satisfied with the performance, and have switched back to the stock bushing and carry a small bottle of 30wt. oil to drop onto the bushing when it starts to drag. I've also just recently purchased a 6in. piece of SAE-841 Oilite tubing and am going to make a small run of bushings matching the stock bushings dimensions and see if they will solve the drag problem.

As for fitting the HS 4G unit to the Titan? I feel that it would be a simple bolt up operation. The thing that might cause some problems is the one way bearing on the output of these new 2010 and later 4G drives. It will add a third freewheel mech. to your drive train. Which I think might be to many?

ocscully

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have been waiting a long time to see a motorized Milano (or other curvy Bianchi city bike). I can't wait to see your completed motorbike.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
does anyone know if the 4g transmission will fit on a dax titan?
Hi MaxPower
There is a small chance we can get you a kit sooner than March but only if the shipment comes in sooner than expected, but my experience has been longer than expected.
Now when it come to your engine choices you can only go with the 5/8 shaft version of the 4G. It is the only one that has been successfully adapted to the SBP shift kit for 4 strokes.
So what that means is the Titan engine is out because it uses the tapered shaft.
It also means that the Honda is now your other choice as it has a 5/8 shaft.
So you can use only the 4G for 5/8 shaft and your engine choices are Honda GXH-50 5/8 shaft or Huasheng 142F-cc 49cc 4 stroke 5/8 shaft.
Just so you know when it comes time for your purchase.
There is a chance that you can use the Titan and the standard 4G if you mount your engine a little higher and use shorter pedal arms. But then it will be a little awkward pedaling because you will only get half of your foot on the pedal.
Anything is possible it is just a question of money patients and a lot of searching for odd ball parts
Cheers
Terry

Last edited:

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
MaxPower
I just thought of one more thing the shift kit that SBP has developed is for 2.5hp the Super Titan has 3hp that may be to much power for the free wheel so that is something that may need to be upgraded if that is possible

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
hey terry thanks for the reply. I think I've got my mind set on the taper shaft 4g and a HS engine. The bushing type really bugs me. I see on you website that you are out of the wide 3 piece crank. will you have any in march? also would it work If i ordered from SBP's website and tell them to give you a commission or do you have something else worked out?

Last edited:

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
hey terry thanks for the reply. I think I've got my mind set on the taper shaft 4g and a HS engine. The bushing type really bugs me. I see on you website that you are out of the wide 3 piece crank. will you have any in march? also would it work If i ordered from SBP's website and tell them to give you a commission or do you have something else worked out?
Why don't you give me a phone call right now and we can talk over the details of what you have in mind 604 543 9010 or PM me your number I will call you.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Why don't you give me a phone call right now and we can talk over the details of what you have in mind 604 543 9010 or PM me your number I will call you.
I'd rather post details on the forum for everyone to read. Prices and what not. That way you can show the customer service you provide.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Well MaxPower as much as I would like to do that I am not aloud to self promote You on the other hand can tell any one you like about me and my products but I can not.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
I can say this Max I can get you any parts you like with one exception the trans you want I can get parts that I even say out of stock I just get them from other suppliers

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
hey terry, I know you can't discuss it on the forum but here is what I'd like to order from you. I know you dont have the 4g but could you give me a estimate price/shipping when you can ship it. I live in sierra vista AZ. you can PM me if you can't post here.

4 stroke shift kit
huasheng tapershft engine
taper shaft 4g
grubee wide crank arms instead of the SBP arms