Presto fire extinguisher – No More Danger!

GoldenMotor.com

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
I’ve seen some great builds on this site that utilize vintage fire extinguishers as finishing pieces, and I just had to get one for my bike.

I found a few custom ones that were specifically made for Indian & Harleys, but they seemed a bit too large for my frame. I ended up getting a vintage brass Presto that was still in the packaging & had the original mounting bracket, ebay 30 bucks or so.

I don’t have a welder to attach the bracket properly, so I made due with a radiator clamp, heavy duty black plastic ties, Velcro, and an old leather strap. I used sticky-back velcro to match up the original bracket back with the radiator hose clamp back to prevent slipping. I then used two thick plastic electric ties to tighten the two together. I lined the inside of the original bracket with soft Velcro, and also used the soft Velcro to wrap the frame tubing where the radiator clamp would be tightened to prevent slipping. The extinguisher now fit snug into the original bracket, and I finished off the look with an old leather strap to hide the radiator hose clamp & tighten the entire unit.

Hopefully I won’t have to use this thing, it is actually still full, and I’ve read that these were eventually taken off the market due to one of the main chemical ingredients causing asphyxiation if too much is accidentally inhaled while putting out your fire...but it is really cool to see the ‘MADE IN NYC’ stamp.

Attachments

derekian72

Sep 23, 2010
Monrovia, CA
haha yes, I was thinking of trying to find someone who could empty the contents in order to preserve the piece. I'm not sure how long brass can hold a toxic liquid....and I also thought of trying to empty it myself in my back alley, but it just kind of felt like a bad idea the more i thought about it ;) thanks Bairdco! Was thinking of doing the Venice ride but have to figure out how to get my bike there from Monrovia!