Sportsman WZ Flyer Whizzer power

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Pat, if you do decide to cut down the pipe, let me know. I've been known to do costuming and custom tailoring. I have experience with a very wide range of fabrics also. I can make you some flame-retardant, insulated, or even asbestos, pants to wear.
Sure beats flame-broiled drumsticks.laff

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Allen Wrench,
You bring up a good point! In my quest for that "period correct" look and sound I never once thought about my leg catching on fire. Boy, they really were brave back in the day! Probably deaf, too. laff

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Allen Wrench,
You bring up a good point! In my quest for that "period correct" look and sound I never once thought about my leg catching on fire. Boy, they really were brave back in the day! Probably deaf, too. laff
I dearly love those old motordrome racers but, ya know, the track is their home. Ride one down the street - and the local fuzz (after they spew coffee out their nostrils) will come pouring out of every diner parking lot, doughnut shop, and from behind the nearest billboard to *ahem* "get a closer look".
And, as the sun sets, if they didn't see where the noise was coming from at first, the bright glow of orange and blue flames will lead their eyes to you.

Those old bikes were demons incarnate. There's more testosterone in the howl of an old Indian 8-valve than in a whole fleet of HD Knuckleheads. But the fuzz will never let it rest.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey sportscarpat,

You are an amazing craftsman who astounds me with each new build. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions about the whizzer set up. What kind of clutch are you using on that bike? Also, are you using a vintage sheave or a newer one? I have read that the new sheave hardware does not fit the larger worksman spokes very well and can cut into them, causing them to break.

I am in the process of building a bike with a briggs engine and I am still trying to decide on a belt drive or chain drive, so your views on the belt drive set up would be helpful.

Thanks,

Gilbert

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Gilbert, and thanks for the kind words. This bike currently has a manual clutch and coaster brake. The next couple will have the centrifugal clutch, although all frames will be set up in a standard configuration to run either clutch with the necessary cable stop for manual clutch. The advantage of the centrifugal clutch is that it frees up the left side of the handle bar and will then allow the use of a brake lever so we can run the big rear drum brake. As for the sheeve it is the newer version and it bolted right on to the Worksman rear rim with no issues.

doug713

Dec 5, 2009
lake havasu city AZ
Santa arrived at my house yesterday driving a big brown truck.Three boxes all nicely packaged with lots of bubblewrap.Sportsmanflyer WZ #001.Anybody waiting for one of these or any of Pats other work be patient and you will be rewarded.Nothing leaves Pats shop that is not up to his very high standards.Nothing new to show right now the bike is all in pieces and the frame will soon be going out for powdercoating.All i can say right now is i will not be using the monarch forks but something even cooler and it will have a short firebreathing exhaust.Will post some pics when the time is right

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Santa arrived at my house yesterday driving a big brown truck.Three boxes all nicely packaged with lots of bubblewrap.Sportsmanflyer WZ #001.Anybody waiting for one of these or any of Pats other work be patient and you will be rewarded.Nothing leaves Pats shop that is not up to his very high standards.Nothing new to show right now the bike is all in pieces and the frame will soon be going out for powdercoating.All i can say right now is i will not be using the monarch forks but something even cooler and it will have a short firebreathing exhaust.Will post some pics when the time is right
You must have been a very good boy this year... You are a very lucky guy.

ChopperDave

Jul 10, 2010
Washington State
Doug, please start a build thread (with lots of pics) of WZ # 001... I am waiting (as patiently as possible) for Pat to get to my frame and would really like to see/hear how yours goes together. Thanks

J Docherty

Jun 14, 2010
Los Angeles
I can't wait to see finished pictures of this bike.

@ ChopperDave, I have just seen images of my bike in build state, I think the wait will be worth it.

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
Hi Gilbert, and thanks for the kind words. This bike currently has a manual clutch and coaster brake. The next couple will have the centrifugal clutch, although all frames will be set up in a standard configuration to run either clutch with the necessary cable stop for manual clutch. The advantage of the centrifugal clutch is that it frees up the left side of the handle bar and will then allow the use of a brake lever so we can run the big rear drum brake. As for the sheeve it is the newer version and it bolted right on to the Worksman rear rim with no issues.
I was wondering if you make the brass header badges yourself, or do you have them made? If so could you tell me by who, and can they make reproductions for restorations? Thanks in advance.

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Dude, your bikes are superfine! You deserve to put Derrenger out of business.

I subscribed to your feeds and look forward to the website launch.