Is there anyway to get a 4g 5:1 belt drive to work with a 44t sprocket?.

GoldenMotor.com

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
Because mine slips like crazy. I just bought a 56 tooth sprocket, but someone told me that would make my engine blow up, so I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do.

Ive tried pretty much everythingto get it working, but the clutch always slips bad on my 4g. This isn't the honda motor.

Thanks for any help you guys may be able to provide.

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
Bioped said if you go to fast with to big of a sprocket will increase the rpms and make the engine blow up.

I dunno what to think. My 44 tooth won't work without extreme slipping, and I don't want to test the 56t sprocket in fear of blowing my motor up. I need more input with someone that knows what they are talkign about

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
you have had plenty of comments from knowledgeable people,,,
your questions have been answered on this subject for a couple of months
you keep throwing good money after bad, my friend

terry blow has much experience with Grubee drives, and he told you that there are 2 different versions/ratios of the drive sold,,,the optimal sprocket is best determined by the version you have

I think you will need to count the sprocket teeth on your drive to know what ratio it runs :)

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I post this with mixed feelings. Can you blow up a motor? Sure. It's easy, just remove or dis able the governor & run it at max rpm till it destroys itself. I have a Honda GXH 50 4 stroke with a Grubee Trans and although it's noisy it works well. I use a 56 T rear sprocket. I am working on a belt drive trans for the Honda motors. I will not be making them to sell. I am also working on a shaft drive to get rid of those pesky Idler rollers. I have a DAX Titan rear mount 4 stroke on a Sun 29" bike. 36T rear sprocket. 29" wheels, it's insane fast. Won't tell you how fast it will go because you would not believe me anyway. Good luck with the problem (c)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I thought these bikes could be not as noisy with these belt drive on them and a bigger sprocket 0_0
I don't think he was referring the noisy drive too being belt driven.....he just said it was a Grubee which leads me too believe it was II or III gear driven gearbox.

Just a little info about my HS 49cc 4G 5:1 with 11t freewheel to a 44t rear sprocket. I've got close to 4,000mi. on it, it goes 35mph on a good day and is still on the original clutch. All that has broken on it so far is 1 belt, 1 clutch bell and the oil slinger.....oh and an 11t freewheel. That's it. I ride this bike hard and it still runs strong. All I do is change the oil every 15-25 hrs. put gas in and ride the snot out of it. My repairs amount to $25 my cost and the bike weighs 74 lbs. and I'm tipping the scales at 180 lbs. Any questions?

Yes, I said 44tooth....not 46, not 48, not 50 nor 56.....44tooth.

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
Just wasted another entire day working on my bike... well that's about it, and I hear you scotto... As it looks, my engine is broken again sigh..

Well I can't fix it, and my back wheel is now broken from taking it off about 20 times today.. and the chain keeps falling off no matter what I do, must be bent..I think... well I'm going to light the bike on fire with gasoline ....... and buy a motorcycle. I had no better luck with the 2 strokes either, built one in 2007 and it only worked for 6 months before it fell apart and started leaking black stuff out of the whole engine, and in the period the engine studs broke out about 9 times.. soo yeah /: .

These machines are junk, in 8 years every one of these engines that exist right now will be broken.

27t

Feb 13, 2010
phoenix, az
I don't think he was referring the noisy drive too being belt driven.....he just said it was a Grubee which leads me too believe it was II or III gear driven gearbox.

Just a little info about my HS 49cc 4G 5:1 with 11t freewheel to a 44t rear sprocket. I've got close to 4,000mi. on it, it goes 35mph on a good day and is still on the original clutch. All that has broken on it so far is 1 belt, 1 clutch bell and the oil slinger.....oh and an 11t freewheel. That's it. I ride this bike hard and it still runs strong. All I do is change the oil every 15-25 hrs. put gas in and ride the snot out of it. My repairs amount to $25 my cost and the bike weighs 74 lbs. and I'm tipping the scales at 180 lbs. Any questions?

Yes, I said 44tooth....not 46, not 48, not 50 nor 56.....44tooth.
I also have that engine and xm with a 40 tooth sprocket on a Huffy 'Good Vibrations' cruiser. No problems yet. Where did you get your spare parts, i.e. belt, 11t frewheel, etc.?

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Just wasted another entire day working on my bike... well that's about it, and I hear you scotto... As it looks, my engine is broken again sigh..

Well I can't fix it, and my back wheel is now broken from taking it off about 20 times today.. and the chain keeps falling off no matter what I do, must be bent..I think... well I'm going to light the bike on fire with gasoline ....... and buy a motorcycle. I had no better luck with the 2 strokes either, built one in 2007 and it only worked for 6 months before it fell apart and started leaking black stuff out of the whole engine, and in the period the engine studs broke out about 9 times.. soo yeah /: .

These machines are junk, in 8 years every one of these engines that exist right now will be broken.

These bikes are nothing more than a representative of the skill level, time and dedication the builder has put into in. Granted these kits are not perfect but, as is apparent in your case, neither are the assemblers. Perhaps an already assembled scooter/moped is a decent idea. Good luck o all of your future endeavors.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I also have that engine and xm with a 40 tooth sprocket on a Huffy 'Good Vibrations' cruiser. No problems yet. Where did you get your spare parts, i.e. belt, 11t frewheel, etc.?
I got them from Birddog (bicycle-engines .com) $12.50 for the belt and $12.50 for the freewheel 11t. I already had a much heavier duty clutchbell from my scooter parts.

will michaud

Feb 29, 2012
colfax ca /northern calif
ques on 4 gt trans
the 100 tooth and the 80 tooth
the 80 tooth has a one way bearing , and the 100 tooth does not state that it has the same one way bearing ,.can the one bearing from the 80 t work in the 100 t
second ques ,i have a 49cc with a 5;1 trans and a 44 t rear wheel would the 100t 4gt give me more hill climbing or would the 80 tooth give me more hi end ?
clfxwill 3/7/13 8:10 pm

Last edited: