Bikes Get Horsepower

GoldenMotor.com

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
Kids on motorized bikes are not be legal in the states where I ride. Virginia requires that motorized bike riders be at least 16 years old. Maryland requires a valid drivers license - which also means at least 16 years old.

It think those requirements are reasonable. Younger kids just don't have the experience to safely handle the speed and power of a morotized bike. It really requires more skill to avoid hurting yourself on a motorized bike than in a car.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Like everything else...it all depends on the kid. I built a motorized bike for my 14 year old nephew last December. He rides it almost daily; Has never had an accident, has never had a run in with the law and has never been hurt. Certainly there are youngsters out there that shouldn't be trusted with anything sharp (or motorized) but then there are those who have the mental capacity to handle a bike capable of 30mph. It all depends on the guidance they get. It's just my gut feeling but the kids in Fairracing's photo appears to me to be the type who understands what he's sitting on, and how to control it properly...Good for them.
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I personally find requiring an automotive license and/or a minimum age limitation to operate a bicycle powered with a glorified weedwacker engine to be borderline ridiculous.

Mandate helmet usage, enforce speed limits & safe driving practices - sure. I'd even go so far as to suggest that a basic safety course & special permit wouldn't be a bad idea, but to mandate a car driving license to operate a powered bicycle is... well... simply bureaucratic lunacy :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Licence is required here. There were only 3 MBers in my lil town but have been seeing this kid on a China girl. 10 or 12, dunno. He broke that thing in for a week. Real careful and looked like 15 or so MPH. Sheepish lil grin. Always waves back but shyly. Now looks like he does about 25 but ever careful and obeys the rules. Is cool to see. Lotta lessons to be learned from these things. Math, physics, rules of the road, mechanics and wrenching. A church I deliver to has taken my suggestion and gonna start a thing to offer lessons in bicycle repair/maint. Most especially "at risk" kids should be given a crescent wrench, screw driver and some thing to work on.

A really fun thing, ask a kid how coffee makers work. Invariably they say there must be a pump to move the water. Hand them a screw driver and a 5 dollar, thrift store Mr, Coffee and let have at it. Is really cool to see the face when they get it back together and it still works and they know how. Road side vacuums too. (is almost always a broken drive belt on the brush/beater thing) Easy fix and great confidence builder)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
A really fun thing, ask a kid how coffee makers work. Invariably they say there must be a pump to move the water.
There isn't? All I know is if there's brown stuff in the pot I have a cup, if there isn't I don't. :D