Question about breaking in...

GoldenMotor.com

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Am almost through my 2nd gallon of 16:1 with a 66cc Flying Horse I replaced the 4 stroke with. Because I'm a big guy (about 300 Lbs) & want to make sure it's going to last me as long as possible...would it hurt to run a 3rd gallon of 16:1 just in case with running it around 15 MPH? After this...want to run it at either 20:1 or 24:1. The plug is showing a dark-medium brown at the 16:1 mixture.

Am I being overcautious or should I just start running the 20:1/24:1?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'm on my third gallon. I'm running 32:1 now. I'm, well, let's just say I could shed a few pounds and not miss any of them. I motor up slight grades with no problems, and that's with a 38t rear sprocket and a 66cc engine. On level ground (with nobody watching) I can even get some decent air-conditioning going. Joe's right, try 32:1, you should be safe.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Am happy that I got an answer more than the manual which comes with the bike. Was mainly concerned with being heavier not going as many miles as someone who weighs like 150-200 Lbs.

With the weather clearing up from rain everyday...will burn thru this last 16:1 tank & start on the more "lean" mixture.

James T Gilmore

Jun 6, 2010
Florida
I got my engine not too long ago. All I do is mix one bottle of the lil oil cans to a gallon of gas is that bad? I guess it doesn't matter at this point since i'v drove it a bunch but did I hurt it?

zaviii

Oct 17, 2008
Chico, Ca
In a nutshell the first 2 gallons should be 16:1 so 8 ounces of 2-stroke outboard oil to 1 gallon of gasoline, never run more than 8 ounces of 2-stroke oil to 1 gallon of gasoline. The 3rd gallon should be 20:1 so 6.4 ounces of 2-stroke outboard oil to 1 gallon of gasoline. On the 4th gallon and throughout the lifespan of the engine you may run 2-stroke "air-cooled" oil 25:1 which about 5.2 ounces to 1 gallon of gasoline.

https://savegasmoney17.com/support.htm#Breakin

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry zaviii,
But most of us will disagree with your advice. First off the 16:1 recommendation found in most kit manuals is way too much oil. That is based on using regular motor oil and not a good quality 2 stroke oil formulated for air cooled 2 stroke engines. We like to start with 24:1 moving down to 32:1 after several gallons, two or three is sufficient.
Secondly we advise against using outboard motor oil. Most of them are made exclusively for water cooled engines and might not be able to stand up to the heat produced by an air cooled motor. There are many good 2 stroke oils available out there. Some are cheap and some you'll pay more for. The option is yours on cost. Several members here have had good luck with the less expensive 2 stroke oil offered by Wally World and some opt for the high priced synthetics available which will run just fine at 50, 80 and even 100:1 mix. There are several threads here that discuss the pros and cons of preferred oils. Read and decide for yourself.
Tom

Last edited:

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
In a nutshell the first 2 gallons should be 16:1 so 8 ounces of 2-stroke outboard oil to 1 gallon of gasoline, never run more than 8 ounces of 2-stroke oil to 1 gallon of gasoline. The 3rd gallon should be 20:1 so 6.4 ounces of 2-stroke outboard oil to 1 gallon of gasoline. On the 4th gallon and throughout the lifespan of the engine you may run 2-stroke "air-cooled" oil 25:1 which about 5.2 ounces to 1 gallon of gasoline.
With the manual I got with the engine...you would think they're owned by the oil company...since they recommend 16:1 for the first 300 miles...then 20:1 from there on. My buddy got his from another company who is one of the sponsors here which tell him the same thing. With the 3rd gallon...got it mixed to 24:1. May eventually head up to 32:1 in a couple of gallons.

As for the oil...only the same oil I use with the weed eater (different mixture rates...but same oil)...so no oil for water cooled engines. Like I was reading in another post...I don't think it will hold up with the air cooled engine. Learned my lesson the hard way with a type 3 VW 25 years ago & those engines cost 3-4 times of what I can get for my bike. Money lost is always a great motivator for learning a lesson.;)

No matter which way you mix it...my bike beats the h*ll out of my F-150 P/U. Can go see places I would never dream about going in that truck & gets me out of the house. Got out to see the latest Shreik movie today. Was the 1st movie I've seen in a cinema since Star Trek.;) You would think with the looks I get...I'd be a swimsuit model wearing a skimpy swimsuit.

I know this may sound like a lame brained question...would you have the same problems in the winter time/cold days with the 2 stroke oil getting like syrup?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I know this may sound like a lame brained question...would you have the same problems in the winter time/cold days with the 2 stroke oil getting like syrup?
The fresh oil in the bottle will thicken up, but pre-mixed fuel will not.
The engines can be a real bear to start when they get very cold. One effective method to combating this problem is to pre warm the engine for an hour or two by using a safe and suitable fixture to let you put a 100 watt light bulb underneath the engine. It needs to be near it, not touching it. The heat created by the bulb will rise up, just like the way a child's toy oven works. I have heard that some folks go so far as to construct a wooden panel assembly so as to box in the warmth around the engine.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Ya know... although some of these suggestions are good - being a year-round rider (daily commuter) in the frozen northlands (Maine) I jus' gotta say that I've never had the slightest problem starting my 2-smoker no matter the temperature... it's a simple matter of resetting the air/fuel mix to compensate for the cold, denser air (richer) and priming it a touch as just the choke isn't enough for a truly cold start.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Ya know... although some of these suggestions are good - being a year-round rider (daily commuter) in the frozen northlands (Maine) I jus' gotta say that I've never had the slightest problem starting my 2-smoker no matter the temperature... it's a simple matter of resetting the air/fuel mix to compensate for the cold, denser air (richer) and priming it a touch as just the choke isn't enough for a truly cold start.
That's kinda been my experience too. I've started her with frost on the ground and the air below freezing. It wasn't really that much extra work, and she warmed up soon enough. These engines might love old Sunny California, but they can make do where it's cold too.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It can get pretty chilly in Colorado too. I've had good luck with just short squirt of quick starting fluid through the holes in the air cleaner. I use the choke a little and let the engine warm a few seconds before riding. The quick-start is basically ether and has a very low flash point so ignition takes place easily. And...it smells neat too. After they're warmed these little 2 strokers seem to love the cold weather. At least that's been my experience.
Tom

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
It can get pretty chilly in Colorado too. I've had good luck with just short squirt of quick starting fluid through the holes in the air cleaner. I use the choke a little and let the engine warm a few seconds before riding. The quick-start is basically ether and has a very low flash point so ignition takes place easily. And...it smells neat too. After they're warmed these little 2 strokers seem to love the cold weather. At least that's been my experience.
Tom
That's good to hear from several in the colder regions of the US. The only thing now is to find my winter gauntlets & use them when the time comes.