Leaky feeling

GoldenMotor.com

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
So recently I have noticed that this black oily substance has been leaking down my seat tube and dripping on to the ground. Im pretty sure its my carb leaking gas but I want to make sure its not something serious. Where would the oily substance be coming from if it was a major problem.

seat tube mount
^that is a pic of where my motor mounts to my seat tube and it seems like the substance is starting there.

sie view
^there is a side view and you can see where the substance is coming from.

it doesnt seem to be coming from any seams on the motor... just right there. I think the gas is dripping from the carb and it is just slowly leaking its way through. but what could it be mixing with to become so black???

Im just worried something is terribly wrong :(. can anyone quell my fears?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A lil hard to tell with the pics, it could be a coupla things...

It's most likely the clutch cable guide - where it's base threads into the case. Every one of the builds I've seen leaks a bit from there, acting somewhat like a distiller most case seepage will be primarily used 2 stroke oil, explaining the leak's thick, dark consistency. Removing the guide and applying a touch of gasket sealant to the threads & reassembling outa help.

It could also be simply surplus chain lube, it tends to collect under the forward sprocket cover and drizzle out with time. Poppin' that cover off and cleaning periodically will also help extend chain & sprocket life as grit & sand tends to collect as well.

Let's not forget that these unreeded 2smokers tend to back blow out the carb with enthusiasm lol, a lil puff of fuel/oil mix every rotation. If you've got the stock air "filter" and housing, it'll happily collect the back blow and drip it right on yer rear mount. There's no real fix for that... but there's no real worry either heh

Odds are it may even be a lil bit of all the above, it's possible it's a case gasket leak... but of all the things listed that's the least likely ;)

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Thanks for the help guys. I however have a whole new problem... I have found the root of my troubles to be my carb vibrating itself to death. no matter how tight i get my choke nut, it vibrates loose and restricts airflow and now the carb has broken off a tooth where it tightens to the manifold.

So all that said im not sure what to do about the horrible vibration problem i am having. any thoughts?

also is there a better carb out there? maybe just one that is made better?

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
I have the feeling its your front mount that cuasing your vibes. The SPB mount actually clamps in a circle around the tube the way the uni mount you have is its not a solid clamp so to speak.

As far as carbs go the "NT" style seems to work pretty good. it available at spooky tooth pretty cheap.

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have the feeling its your front mount that cuasing your vibes. The SPB mount actually clamps in a circle around the tube the way the uni mount you have is its not a solid clamp so to speak.

As far as carbs go the "NT" style seems to work pretty good. it available at spooky tooth pretty cheap.
my front mount is a little lacking :D I will have to look into making it a little more heavy duty. and I actually have the "NT speed" carb and it does work very well however i vibrated it to death :oops:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Sounds like you may need a new carb. One time i broke a tab on mine and used jb weld to seal it to a intake,it held for a few days then fell apart,just the same time my new carb arrived.

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Sounds like you may need a new carb. One time i broke a tab on mine and used jb weld to seal it to a intake,it held for a few days then fell apart,just the same time my new carb arrived.
does your new carb still leak like the old one? cause before i started "working" on my carb it never leaked and i was able to do 35 mph. now its leaking like a sieve and i can barely get above 28 mph and when approaching that my motor and bike sound horrible. just not sure what i did to make the carb go to crap...

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Yes my carb use to leak,then i took off the bowl and bent the tabs a little so that it won't over fill. You may have a airleak. Use high temp silicone that comes in a tube for autos around the intake then put carb on and hand tighten with screw driver,but not too tight or you will break it again,then if you want you can add a plastic tie or spring to keep the carb from coming off again.

Also change the gasket and add a little sillicone to the gasket.

Bye the way,all these carbs will have a blow back of oil/gas back threw the airfilter and is normal.

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Yes my carb use to leak,then i took off the bowl and bent the tabs a little so that it won't over fill. You may have a airleak. Use high temp silicone that comes in a tube for autos around the intake then put carb on and hand tighten with screw driver,but not too tight or you will break it again,then if you want you can add a plastic tie or spring to keep the carb from coming off again.

Also change the gasket and add a little sillicone to the gasket.

Bye the way,all these carbs will have a blow back of oil/gas back threw the airfilter and is normal.
I have tried adjusting the height of the float arms but that didnt help. Maybe I just have to find that sweet spot lol. Also where are you putting the plastic tie and spring on the carb?

Now I have also found my problem to be vibration of my motor... do you think the silicone will help at all? I have an idea of using a very short piece of hose between my carb and my manifold to help reduce vibrations, have you ever heard of anyone doing this before?

And i realize the blow back on these motors could cause them to leak but my bike has been sitting up since sunday and the leak is just getting bigger and bigger...

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
have you replaced the stock petcock? Mine did that until I checked out the petcock which was ruined the rubber gaskets had detiorated and it would just keep flooding the bowl and leaking out my primer button.

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
have you replaced the stock petcock? Mine did that until I checked out the petcock which was ruined the rubber gaskets had detiorated and it would just keep flooding the bowl and leaking out my primer button.
I have not replaced the petcock... where can i get one? Also im pretty sure the gas isnt coming out of the primer button, ill have to check to make sure

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
if its coming from the "primer button" then the float is not shutting of the fuel....take off the bowl and check your float....i spread locktite 518 gasket maker(not rtv) on the gasket and drain screw....also put it on the gasket where the fuel comes into the carb...that 518 is good stuff and will not deteriorate when exposed to fuel like rtv will...you may also need to replace the kits fuel line with better line....when that line gets old it can get hard and not fit the fittings well

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
if its coming from the "primer button" then the float is not shutting of the fuel....take off the bowl and check your float....i spread locktite 518 gasket maker(not rtv) on the gasket and drain screw....also put it on the gasket where the fuel comes into the carb...that 518 is good stuff and will not deteriorate when exposed to fuel like rtv will...you may also need to replace the kits fuel line with better line....when that line gets old it can get hard and not fit the fittings well
im pretty sure its not coming from the primer button but i will check
i actually think its all coming from the petcock side.

would it be easier to just make a new gasket with some gasket material? i have no experience with stuff like 518. the line is after market and pretty good but do you recommend any type of clamp on the fuel line where it meets the petcock?

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
well personally i just lightly coat the gaskets and o rings....my clamps tend to be zip ties....making the bowl gasket would be a challenge that i wouldnt be up for....check your local parts store(a good one like napa not vatozone)theyll have the 518....it comes in a red tube and has a red gel inside...i use this stuff at work and believe this stuff might be the best product ive ever use....

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
well personally i just lightly coat the gaskets and o rings....my clamps tend to be zip ties....making the bowl gasket would be a challenge that i wouldnt be up for....check your local parts store(a good one like napa not vatozone)theyll have the 518....it comes in a red tube and has a red gel inside...i use this stuff at work and believe this stuff might be the best product ive ever use....
so just put it on the gaskets and tighten everything up? does it bond them permanently ... can i get them apart later... does the gasket have to be completely dry to put it on?

sorry to barrage you with questions but i would rather hear it from someone who knows then mess up completely

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
well it bonds them well, not permanantly.....you can still get it apart later....put the gaskets together wet....spread it thin and put it together...its as easy as putting it on all the gaskets and tightening everything up