AHHH new bike build...no power at all.

GoldenMotor.com

clw1985

Apr 23, 2010
illinois
Skyhawk 66 cc, spookytoothcycles...is what i bought and where from, also, bought a cns carb.
When it first started running...it ran great....i swear. I got on it today it ran great...i thought to myself i should go on a short ride..I'm breaking it in by the book btw. Im running 2 cycle royal purple with 93 octane at 20:1 ratio. with that out of the way here is the problem.

All the sudden no power..at all. I was going up a small hill at 8mph manually then i engaged clutch gave it a bit of fuel and killed it because it wasn't working. I thought it surely must be to much load. So i went down the hill engaged clutch..same problem no power. The engine will turn over and run as long as i pedal. when i stop pedaling...so does the engine. The engine will not idle. It did yesterday..
I called spookytooth, followed their suggestions on the cns carb..which was as follows. idle screw all the way in, air/fuel about 3 turns out. remove pink tube. I did that...no help. They said put on stock carb. Didnt work. I'm not sure its the carb. It's like it's not catching something i dunno it's very odd. Im really hoping some one will know these symtoms and be able to help.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
When I popped a whole in the piston of motorcycle it still turned over and never started. If it runs while you are pedaling it might not realy be running and if you blew a whole in something the lack of compression and stuff would make it easy to pedal with clutch engaged given the feeling of a running motor... Or I might be talking out my butt....

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
pull out your spark plug, have it connected to the plug wire laying on the cylinder head. Get back tire off the ground and pedal it to check for good spark. Got a reliable spark?

clw1985

Apr 23, 2010
illinois
it doesn't pedal easy with clutch engage while running it's pretty diffiult. the spark is ok. I think I may put a better plug in though this one is cheap. it does run intially it just won't stay after like 2 seconds. I'm gonna tear it down I think and check my gaskets and the head for a crack and see if that fixes it.

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
is the choke on? petcocks in the run pistions? (there are 2 "on" positions on some petcocks, one however is a reserve setting that will stare you for fuel) not to be insulting but sometimes its the simplest thing that we all over look.

the CNS carbs are more trouble than they are worth from what ive gathered in my time here... go back to the stock one too take that source of error out of the equation.

is the engine mounted level(or close)? the carb float may be messing up if the engine isnt level.

does the engine sound like its leaning out when you get on it(revving really high then dying)? you may be starving for fuel. or the opposite maybe true, it may be flooding.

im assuming you have a 44t rear sprocket, 8mph may be a little slow to maintain idle, my advice is to put it on a stad to work on it and get the motor running well, hen you can diagnose any drive train problems after that.

Regards,
Crobo