Chain Issue

GoldenMotor.com

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
Ok. Installing a new kit on my bike today and ran into a problem. The kit came with the smaller #410 chain and when we mounted everything up, the chain would have too much room while it was running through the idler wheel and it would keep derailing. We really couldn't fix it and come up with the solution of buying a thicker chain. Would I be able to use a #415 chain on a kit that came with the #410? It seems like it identical to my other bike which had a #415 chain but would the #415 chain fit on this kit?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
When you line up the chain, you have to tilt the tensioner so it doesnt derail the chain, if it still derails maybe your sprockets are not lined up good.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
When you line up the chain, you have to tilt the tensioner so it doesnt derail the chain, if it still derails maybe your sprockets are not lined up good.
But do you know if I would be able to use a 415 on this kit? Cause I think I'm just gonna buy another adapter from Jim cuz we tried everything with this sprocket but nothing would work.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
But do you know if I would be able to use a 415 on this kit? Cause I think I'm just gonna buy another adapter from Jim cuz we tried everything with this sprocket but nothing would work.
The chain is intercahngable but you'd do better with a good quality #41 chain instead of the kit supplied #415. #41 chain is available at Grainer, Tractor Supply and even Ace Hardware. It is a better choice and will perform better than the Chinese chain that comes with most kits. You'll find it wears less and there's less chance of rough spots, twists and kinks that are common with the #415 or #410 that comes with most engine kits.
Tom

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
Does the rear sprocket wobble at all when you spin the wheel?? The slightest wobble can also throw the chain!
At first the sprocket actually did wobble a little bit and we thought it was that wobble that was causing our problems but we took the sprocket off and evened it all out but it would still derail. Then we came to the conclusion of swapping out the chains.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
The chain is intercahngable but you'd do better with a good quality #41 chain instead of the kit supplied #415. #41 chain is available at Grainer, Tractor Supply and even Ace Hardware. It is a better choice and will perform better than the Chinese chain that comes with most kits. You'll find it wears less and there's less chance of rough spots, twists and kinks that are common with the #415 or #410 that comes with most engine kits.
Tom
Yeah I have heard about the #41 chain but unfortunately the closest Tractor Supply is an hour and a half away. There is an Ace Hardware about 45 minutes away though so I'll most likely make the trip down there and pick up the new chain. I heard it is wider though, does it actually work well with these engines? Have you had any issues with them?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've one on my Schwinn and although I think it overkill - it's worked jus' fine fer thousands of miles :)

Brent436

Feb 14, 2010
Massachusetts
yeah be careful with chains. i just had my chain break today. it broke a bunch of teeth on the drive sprocket on the motor and pieces blew through the case into the magneto. luckily it didnt crack into the crankcase. goodluck with getting your chain. im probably going to go buy myself a #41 chain now haha.