Another Harbor Freight Attempt

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Max your gear calculations are correct. This is not pedal assist right? if it isn't then no reason not to run a smaller than 18t drive sprocket. If it is then you have another reduction opportunity!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I think this whole thing is easier if you run it pedal assist than not. I say this w/ experience. Other than SBP I'm the only one I know of who has jackshafted a 4 stroke w/ pedal assist. Forgot about ScooterGuy (think his is pedal assist as well)

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Max your gear calculations are correct. This is not pedal assist right? if it isn't then no reason not to run a smaller than 18t drive sprocket. If it is then you have another reduction opportunity!
It is a pedal assist but the jackshaft is not set up to go through the front bottom bracket. see picture

Attachments

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
So front chainring is on the right side but stokers is on the left. So the stoker can pedal w/o making the pilot pedal and the pilot can pedal w/o making the stoker pedal right? so there is 2 freewheels on the stokers spindle?

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
What about driving the stokers chainring and giving them footpegs and a free ride? oppertunity for that 2nd reduction.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
here are a few pictures for clarification. There is a key shaft going through the strokers bottom bracket. There will only be one seat on this bike and I plan to cut the strokers seat tube that sticks up above the frame off. there is only one freewheel. the engine can power the wheel and not interfere with the front pedals. I'm considering a freewheel on the drive side of the jackshaft so when I pedal it won't turn the clutch bell.

Attachments

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
So Here's my 2 cents now that my stubborn brain is finally wurring up to operational speed. This is great 'cause I want to do utilibikes and tandems too. You make a 3:1 transmission (1.5"/4.5" pulley) w/ a 5.333:1 reduction to the stoker chain ring (9t/48t). I believe (check w/ Jim and Paul) that SBP's new 4 stroke freewheel adapter will adapt to a keyed shaft. If you mount it so that it freewheels backward then when you pedal you won't push the drive train and when the motors running it won't run you. And this makes your reductions and your drive train simpler. further more if their freewheel won't flip you could bolt a chainring to a regular bmx freewheel using the teeth of the freewheel as "mounting holes" for the larger chainring.

Last edited:

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I got a replay from Pfeifer Industries :: Metric Timing Belts and Pulleys

[Jim Donovan Jr.]
We do not sell the Max-Torque 5mm Pitch, 23 tooth HTD clutch. Max-Torque (MaxTorque) is the manufacturer and distributor for that particular product. However, I may be able to answer a few of your questions, please see my responses below.

What Pitch Diameter do you offer for this clutch HTD Clutch ? what is the engagement RPM?

[Jim Donovan Jr.] 23 tooth is the only one Max-Torque offers, which has a pitch diameter of 1.441" (see attached chart). Max-Torque is able to change the spring and shoes in the clutch to vary engagement RPM so you would have to tell them what you are looking for to see if it is possible.

Do you sell a pulley with a pitch Diameter of 10"-14" that's compatible with that clutch? I need a pulley with a keyed shaft diameter of 5/8".

[Jim Donovan Jr.] I have quantity one (1) 176 tooth pulley available that has a pitch diameter of 11.028". You would mount it to your 5/8" shaft using a mounting hub and a taper lock bushing. Or you could build your own mounting hub to mount it to your shaft.

[James F. Donovan Max-Torque, LTD.]
before you buy it make sure of the crankshaft size. Make sure
it has a keyway and that it is drilled and tapped. When I see the word
generator on the engine it might be a fixed speed engine and it might
not have a keyway but a tapered shaft. Then you would have an engine
you cannot do much with except use it as a paper weight.

Another thing to check is rotation of the crankshaft. You might be
going in reverse. There are reason some engine are so cheap.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Now when [Jim Donovan Jr.] says "I have quantity one (1) 176 tooth pulley available that has a pitch diameter of 11.028". " does he mean that it's going to be expensive?

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Use them all the time (taper locks), they're strong. What is that pulley made out of? Unless it's Aluminum it could easilly weigh > 5 lbs. That's a lot of rotating mass!

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
You could get a machine shop to fininsh this pulley for you. You would also have a couple left over to sell or make another bike. I might even buy one from you. That would be so awsome.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
You could get a machine shop to fininsh this pulley for you. You would also have a couple left over to sell or make another bike. I might even buy one from you. That would be so awsome.
wonder how much that pulley weighs. solid piece of aluminum. UPS would be happy to charge for that.

I'm afraid to ask Pfeifer Industries what they want for that 11" pulley. I'm still up in the air to whether I need a pulley that big. I guess I'll find out through trial and error.

I drew up the tensioner I want to make in MS paint. check the picture out

Attachments

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Here are some comparisons. With off the shelf Max Torque centrifugal clutch pulleys.

Timing belt pulley:
176 7.652/1
100 4.348/1

V pulley:
14 in. 4.375/1
12 in. 3.750/1
09 in. 2.831/1

You could ask the guy on ebay if he would cut it for you then you would only be buying one finished piece and it would not be 26 lbs for shipping. I bet its going to be a lot for the 176 the 100 may not be any cheaper.

If I remember correctly the htd cluth is like $100 vs $60 for the v belt pulley clutch.

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Lookin forward to seein' where this goes! admittedly a large pulley on this bike will look cool! Being that your running this whole thing on a "bicycle built for 2 converted back to 1" I doubt your too worried about a little HP being scrubbed from it. Function/Form the razors edge! Love it!

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
How much HP will be wasted. I know nothing of this type of mechanics. I was thinking a large pulley would stabilize and make the engine really smooth. I'm thinking of old timey engines from the turn of the century. They were very limited in their power output and seems like they got around it by storing energy in a rotating flywheel. I can see how acceleration would be affected but will top speed be affected? I'm thinking of this as a cruiser, get it up to speed and it'll stay there all day.

Just found this cassette that is 13t-34t. I hopping for more range. Motorized Bicycles Detail Page

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Your exactly right! At a certain point you you wouldn't be able to reach full motor speed but I don't think your going to have that problem. I think you'll get exactly what your looking for the "flywheel effect" i.e. an object in motion wants to stay in motion and a heavy object in motion really wants to stay in motion. It will smooth out top end at the sacrifice of acceleration. But that's whats great about theses things, you can help. But remember too that your going to be spinning the jackshaft much faster than you can spin your cranks. On a "standard" shiftable rig your gearing is such that you can help from bottom to middle in each gear w/ your rig you'll most likely only be able to help at bottom since your driving it w/ an 18-22t sprocket that will be spinning at > 600 rpms at top speed. usually your looking for 200ish rpm's for pedal assist, that way you can help it to a 120 ish momentarilly.
I can't help the power:weight comparisons; it is programmed into my brain from m/c racing. My late friend Jamie Lyon used to say, as he was ripping stuff off his track bike, losing weight is free HP. For power and handling take all the weight you can off rotating and static. But if you want a big smooth cruiser your right leave a little weight and the flywheel affect can be practical.
BTW heres a pic of the Guzzi Iwas talkin about it's a '59 Falcone w/ a meat slicer on the side!

.wee.

Attachments