Bike became REALLY loud...

GoldenMotor.com

Rachtak

Oct 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
I was tightening my muffler onto my motor (the nuts had gotten loose and the muffler was wobbling) and I accidentally snapped off one of the bolts protruding out from the motor. I tightened the remaining nut as much as i could and the muffler seems to be pretty secure. However, when I tested it out, the bike was a lot louder than usual. The sound coming out was higher pitched and could be heard across the block.

What is wrong?
Is it a problem with the muffler? the sparkplug? too little engine oil?

(P.S. I have a DAX 62cc that Ive ridden ~60 miles)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the problem is self evident. you busted the bolt, now the muffler's not gonna ever tighten up. what you're hearing is the exhaust coming out of your engine instead of the pipe.

the only fix is to get that stud out and put a new one in. if it's not broken off flush, you may be able to grab it with some vice grips, if you can't, then it's all about drilling and tapping.

there is no other fix.

good luck.

Rachtak

Oct 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Can you explain a little more in detail how would I take the stud out? Do I have to take the engine off the bike? Would anything bad happen if I rode it without fixing it until I have the time to do it (other than the noise)?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Personally - I'd stop riding the bike immediately, or even running it for that matter. All else aside you'd just sheer off the one remaining exhaust stud.

As bairdco mentioned, if you're very, very lucky there'll be enough bolt left to grab with some vice grips - if not, it's extracting time... which is a bit of an adventure.

Using so called "EZ outs" is not exactly easy. If you haven't done it before or even seen it done and don't have the tools... I almost wonder if it wouldn't be worth it to take it to your local auto shop and give 'em a few bucks to do it for you - while you watch ofc.

I only say this because judging from your questions you may not be used to tinkering with engines and a broken off flush stud can be a pain even for the most experienced. One of my favorite tricks is to take a nut and place it over the broken stud and weld the two together, removing the "bolt" I just made while it's still hot.

Of course you'd need access to welding equipment for that...

If ya wanna try it yourself, you drill a small hole in the bolt you're trying to get out, then screw an EZ out in counterclockwise. When it gets in far enough, it will cause the fastener to start screwing out... usually. As yours broke because of sheering load it'd prolly work just fine - it's when they break while you where tryin' to unscrew them that there's problems as the threads are "seized".

EZ outs/bolt extractors look like this and should be available at your local hardware/auto parts store;

Good luck ;)

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Dude if ya bust a stud you gotta replace it, clearly your new sound is from the lack of said stud and nut that was there once before.

Replacing the stud,
undo the nut from the good side and remove the exhaust, is there anyof the stud sticking out????? if so as what was said earlier get some vise grips and take it out, if it is flush with the barrel you need an easy out.
If all this sounds foren get a new barrel and save youself some time and headaches

If you just hang the muffler by the 2 studsit will constantly come loose eventually snapping either the exhaust or the studs, the body needs to be clamped or welded to the bike.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
erm... if the guy isn't up for removing a broken bolt I don't think he'd be up for swappin' cylinders - tho a valid option, I'd only do that if the stud extraction went south.

While I agree that the muffler should be supported by something other than just the two manifold studs - a clamp is best, DO NOT just weld the exhaust system to your bike itself... that's just a bad idea for a bunch of reasons, the most obvious being the inability to remove it lol

heh, stv1jzgte - I'm no lighting typer, bet I just started first is all ;)

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
erm... if the guy isn't up for removing a broken bolt I don't think he'd be up for swappin' cylinders - tho a valid option, I'd only do that if the stud extraction went south.

While I agree that the muffler should be supported by something other than just the two manifold studs - a clamp is best, DO NOT just weld the exhaust system to your bike itself... that's just a bad idea for a bunch of reasons, the most obvious being the inability to remove it lol

heh, stv1jzgte - I'm no lighting typer, bet I just started first is all ;)
wow swapping is just more work.. :( haha

But yeah if extracting doesn't work out the only option left is replacing the cylinder..