Dogs and Pies

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It is a cold snowy day in Denver and my wife felt like baking. She has these new pie crust molds that make little fall leaves so she baked a pumpkin pie and a dozen leaves, placed the leaves on the pie and baked it. It came out looking like something from Better Homes and Gardens or some creation you'd see on the cooking channel. It was in the high 30s so she put it on the table on our back porch to cool and we started making dinner. Now, we have two dogs; one a Golden Retriever and the other a Tibetan Spaniel. The spaniel is a 14 pound ball of fur that has twice the intelligence of the retriever and rules the roost when it comes to the two dogs. While we were cooking dinner the dogs went out to do their after-dinner business and a few minutes later the retriever wanted in but there was no sign of the little one so I let her stay out while we finished making our meal. As we sat down to eat she began to scratch at the back door so I let her in not paying any attention to the pie.
After dinner was finished, Char decided she would have a slice of the pie she had baked and went out on the back porch to get it...I heard her scream and ran to see what the problem was. She came in the back door with her pie but it didn't look like the one she had set out to cool. It was half eaten. Most of the little pie crust leaves were gone and there was a hole the size of...well, a Tibetan Spaniel face in it. We're watching the little dog now to see what effect a half of a pumpkin pie has on a 14 pound dog. I found it funny...Char failed to see the humor.
Tom

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have one dog thats a tortillas lover, If I leave any on the counter or table as soon as I turn my head they are gone. I always know when he does something wrong he will hide under the kitchen table. Thats when I go walking around the house "what have you done?" looking for something that he got into.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
When I go in a store, my two dogs have learned to open the center console in my pickup and help themselves to any treats I might have inside. When I come back to the truck all I have to say is "What did you two little bandits get into?" and their guilty looks give them away. They could never pass a lie detector test. One day I'm gonna have to lurk outside and see which one is the mastermind ringleader!
.trk.

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Mike, the brown and black one. You can tell by the shifty eyes and the beady stare.
The puppy with the red collar looks too innocent and more like a follower.

Steve..

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I love dogs. They do things we all really want to do. I would love to have dug into a pumpkin pie like that.......................:D

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Mike, the brown and black one. You can tell by the shifty eyes and the beady stare.
The puppy with the red collar looks too innocent and more like a follower.

Steve..
Steve,
You may be onto something ... I'll see if I can catch her with the goods. But the big one looks a little guilty too in this picture.
Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Tom - that pie looks (looked) ossum! I don't have a dog... so any pies are safe with me I swears - plz ship to;

BarelyAWake
Motorbicycling.com
Icanhazpie ME 04011

kthx :D

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Tom, my wife makes a mean Pumkin pie , she worked in a bakery for a few years when we were first married back in 1973 . She mixes up the pie filling and seasonings then lets it set for about 24 hours in a bowl in the fridge . This has a, melding of seasonings, effect . This is a method that has been used for 70 years at this mom and pop bakery . Then to keep the dogs out of it you add one more thing.

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I made a Jell-o pudding pumpkin pie. I am a good baker and cook, and I got lazy, in return, I got a REALLY LOUSY PIE.

The dogs liked it, but they didn't love it.....It looked like Tom's pie when the three of them got done with it. Usually "big people food" dissapears in one large inhalation.

FYI pumpkin is not on the list of things you don't want your dog eating.