Finishing the Greyhound Build!!!

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Elmo,
I really like what you built here.
Thank you for sharing all the details.
Got my wheels turning all over again to go L-O-N-G...
-lowracer-

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Thank you for the kind words. I hope the build thread is some help to you. I will probably build another one next spring. It will be a recumbent. Right now I am starting to build a shop and get a metal casting setup going. Besides it is too cold for me to ride right now the temp topped out at 37 today, hows that for the sunny southland.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have had a few questions about my throttle linkage so I decided to add this post with pics. Pics tell it easier than words. I used half of a cheap caliper brake and bent one end so i could mount it to the brake bridge. The cable adjuster works good for adjusting the throttle. I used a piece of stiff wire silver soldered to the end of the cable to hook to the throttle arm on the carburetor. I got a couple of small springs from the hardware store for throttle return. And I used a brake lever for a throttle. I did not have a cable long enough so I silver soldered two cables together. Cables work better if they are ran with housing stops at each end with naked cable in between. You can salvage cable housing stops from an old bike by carefully heating and pulling with a pair of pliers. Or just order some from Gaerlyn or Power on. Sorry about the muddy bike. I got caught by rain and had to go down a gravel and mud road the other day and haven't cleaned it yet.

Attachments

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I just passed 2000 miles on my bike and thought I would give a report how it has held up. I dropped the gear ratio to 13.65 to one because the 12-1 needed help on a couple of hills when pulling a loaded trailer. The top speed dropped to a little over 35 mph and can't tell any difference in gas mileage.
The primary chain takes a lot of lubrication to make it last. I have to oil it about every fifty miles. I am thinking about changing to a belt drive for the primary. The chain speed is just too high at the speeds the engine turns but it will last if it is kept lubricated.
The bike has never failed to bring me home but came close one time. The rear wheel slipped forward, probably because I didn't tighten it properly. It threw the secondary chain, broke four spokes and bent three but the wheel stayed amazingly true, enough to take me five miles home. It also bent the disc brake rotor that I had the sprocket mounted on. I couldn't find a new one so made an adapter from 3/16" steel. Works fine and won't bend.
Also found a great chain oilier at the heating and cooling place where I sometime get parts for a job. The oil is o.k. but I will try chain saw oil in it when it runs out.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lookin' good Elmo. Wow 2K. Good job.

Was gonna ask you. I had been thinking about a paint brush sort of gravity deal with grease rather then oil to lube the chain. The friction making enough heat to lube a chain.
Wudda ya think? Would also get the dirt off some what.

Be kinda cool if that would work. But I use bacon fat for chain lube. works great but doesn't stay long, warm.

(great for rust!)

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Maybe a piece of felt coming out of some kind of oil reservoir and rubbing on the chain. Something similar to the felt oilers on some electric motors.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
This bike was a proof of concept build and it has proved satisfactory. I just like to ride recumbents as they are far more comfortable. I have stripped it to the frame and started on a new build.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Elmo

It will be in "Tractor Heaven" I`m sure!! Farewell to "The Flying Dutchman" may it rest in peace. Was a friend to us all !! Sob sob

Ron

Last edited:

tallcrown

Jun 14, 2011
NJ
I just passed 2000 miles on my bike and thought I would give a report how it has held up. I dropped the gear ratio to 13.65 to one because the 12-1 needed help on a couple of hills when pulling a loaded trailer. The top speed dropped to a little over 35 mph and can't tell any difference in gas mileage.
The primary chain takes a lot of lubrication to make it last. I have to oil it about every fifty miles. I am thinking about changing to a belt drive for the primary. The chain speed is just too high at the speeds the engine turns but it will last if it is kept lubricated.
The bike has never failed to bring me home but came close one time. The rear wheel slipped forward, probably because I didn't tighten it properly. It threw the secondary chain, broke four spokes and bent three but the wheel stayed amazingly true, enough to take me five miles home. It also bent the disc brake rotor that I had the sprocket mounted on. I couldn't find a new one so made an adapter from 3/16" steel. Works fine and won't bend.
Also found a great chain oilier at the heating and cooling place where I sometime get parts for a job. The oil is o.k. but I will try chain saw oil in it when it runs out.
Elmo, Just a few questions. Great Post here.
1 Did you use an adapter to connect the sprocket to the spokes? If so which one? you said something about Disc Brake mount. Please explain or do you have a picture of the other side.
2 How did you like the centrifical clutch? I see that many people use the EZ transmission on the motors. Did you ride yours all the time with those chains exposed like in pictures?
I am excited to see what you do with a Recumbent bike-
Thanks
T

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Elmo, Just a few questions. Great Post here.
1 Did you use an adapter to connect the sprocket to the spokes? If so which one? you said something about Disc Brake mount. Please explain or do you have a picture of the other side.
2 How did you like the centrifical clutch? I see that many people use the EZ transmission on the motors. Did you ride yours all the time with those chains exposed like in pictures?
I am excited to see what you do with a Recumbent bike-
Thanks
T

1. In the beginning I used a sprocket bolted to the disc rotor that was done by AzBill. Picture below. I threw the chain one day and bent the rotor. I couldn't find another so made an adapter out of 3/16 steel plate. see pictures in post 144.

2. I loved the centrifugal clutch. I installed a lower rpm engagement spring
from maxtorque(1800 instead of 2200 rpm stock ) And yes I never had a guard. The chains were behind me when on the bike, no part of my anatomy was close to it.

Attachments