Air Bubbles in Fuel Line !?!?!?!?

GoldenMotor.com

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
I know about the ones in a dirkbike tank but do I really need a tube going to a catchcan? If gasoline isn't touching the cap inside then it won't want to suck gas out of the hole I drill. I think that dirtbikes have a tube in the tank as well, correct?

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
I dont have any tube or anything but the little cover I made for the hole. I haven't had one drop of gas come out of the whole but the cap does leak a little bit out of the actual seal when I ride on really, really rough ground.

.sno.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The tube is just a nicety it's true, but it does help keep water out and you spill less if your bike gets knocked over - the "catchcan" I've never heard of and I've had a buncha dirtbikes with breather tubes lol

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
Barely don't get me wrong a breather tube would be better but to get on of those on I will need to get a fitting in the cap somehow......or perhaps I could glue it in place.

.sno.

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
Maybe I could get some sort of self tapping fitting to put in the cap and then run a breather tube off of it. The only thing is that to be done properly the fitting needs to be bolted on from the other side of the cap and you cant get into the cap without destroying it.

.sno.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, TBH I was more thinkin' for my bike at this point. I think I found a non-vented genny cap at work that'll fit - if it does I'll be drilling it and adding a fitting & tube. I think I have everything I need there... threaded with a backing nut or even just brazing it - I'll get back to ya if yer interested ;)

This lil project is all your fault lol I just hope that cap fits!

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
Barely if you can get something figured out before me make sure and post it and I will do the same. This venting thing seems to be a common problem.

.sno.

microbore

Oct 5, 2009
Mass
My complaint with the stock gas cap is that it extends too far into the tank. It wicks fuel out of a full tank through the vent when its parked in the sun. A cap like this fixed it: Gas Cap

This makes me wonder if the fuel line bubbles are forming when the tank is full and fuel is in contact with the base of the cap?

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
Suzuki jr 50 cap fits these tanks. If you can find something from another bike it might work .Do you have any mc junkyards around?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
no :-||

I have searched for motorcycle junkyards around here in my quest for a different tank and came up w/nufin...

I think mebbe they just throw old bikes in the ocean o_O

I will continue lookin' tho lol

zaviii

Oct 17, 2008
Chico, Ca
Try putting a small zip tie around the base of the fuel line going into the carburetor. I've had this problem on a few builds because the fuel line is not fitting tight enough. If enough air gets in then the bike will suddenly die and or not perform as it should. Best wishes!!

Last edited by a moderator:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i ran out of gas today. so there was nothing but air in the fuel line. then i overfilled it at the station across the street from autozone, so then there was nothing but gas all over. then i dumped some out by leaning my bike over in the parking lot, eyeballed some 2stroke oil into the tank, and shook my bike back and forth like some kinda pervert salsa dancer with a metal fetish.

then i rode the rest of the way home.

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
Ive had a 49cc slant steel motor that seems to boil the gas becouse the carb is bolted right to the barrel.....ifr you dont have that moter.....errr nevermind.....aloha ......J

zaviii

Oct 17, 2008
Chico, Ca
Welcome JSDaniel, I am new as well. Just mingling with people on the current topics seems to be ok here.

Last edited by a moderator: