no start after it died

GoldenMotor.com

merinious

Jan 28, 2009
corvallis
have had my engine for about a month and i have had no problems but yesterday i had left my house with on the bike and it started raining. at the stoplight i pulled in the clutch and it died now it wont start iv tried repetitively but no luck what should i do it is a 50cc enginkit

when i took the spark plug out and put to the fins to the motor their was no spark

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
It could be as simple as a shorted kill switch, if you have the kill switch hooked up disconnect it. Then try what jasonh said.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
have had my engine for about a month and i have had no problems but yesterday i had left my house with on the bike and it started raining. at the stoplight i pulled in the clutch and it died now it wont start iv tried repetitively but no luck what should i do it is a 50cc enginkit
We're assuming the problem started when the engine got wet so let's go there. Have you checked to see if you're getting spark? Remove the spark plug, lay it against the fins of the cylinder head and rotate the engine quickly by either pedaling with the rear wheel off the ground or spinning the rear wheel by hand. You should see a spark jump between the electrodes. If no spark here's what to try.
First place to check for moisture, which is most likely your problem, is the high voltage lead, (spark plug wire) at the CDI. If all looks dry there it could be water in your kill switch(button) on in the wiring connections from the engine to the CDI and kill switch. The last place to look for ignition related problems is the magneto, (left side engine cover) Take the cover off, spray with a small squirt of WD-40 and blow dry with compressed air if you have it. If your problem is fuel related check the carburator air cleaner element for signs of water. Dry everything with air or a blowdryer. Try these and report back to us. There are other things we can look for but let's try the obvious things first. We're all here to help.
Tom

merinious

Jan 28, 2009
corvallis

when i took the spark plug out and put to the fins to the motor their was no spark
ok iv took the cdi completely off and no moisture then reattached it and tryied still no spark then i checke4d the kill switch and agen no moisture and no spark how do i check the magneto?? and iv already checked the corroborator........

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Make sure ALL connections (other than the kill switch) are connected, including screwing the plug wire into the CDI and the cap onto the wire.

merinious

Jan 28, 2009
corvallis
ok iv took the cdi completely off and no moisture then reattached it and tryied still no spark then i checke4d the kill switch and agen no moisture and no spark how do i check the magneto?? and iv already checked the corroborator........
ok so i forgot to add earlier that it spuddered a couple times and sounded if it would start and also poped idk if this helps find out the problem

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
cor·rob·o·rate (kə-rŏb'ə-rāt') Pronunciation Key
tr.v. cor·rob·o·rat·ed, cor·rob·o·rat·ing, cor·rob·o·rates
To strengthen or support with other evidence; make more certain.

I think you mean carburetor :)

I posted a link to a thread earlier that gives instructions on how to check the CDI and magneto with a multimeter.