Quick Question!

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hmmm.......

I'm no expert on gearing.

But the stock sprocket is 44 tooth. I think I'd recommend going a bit larger.

You're not monstrously heavy. But 250 is something to consider. Plus your wheel is going to have a larger diameter than most.

I know there's a 48 tooth available. I think there's a 52 tooth. I'd go with one of those.

With a 52 your bike might not be fast. I think you can count on that.

I tend to advise slow, slow speeds. So you gotta take my advice with a grain of salt.
But, that said, I'd go with the 52.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Well the big wheel I know changes the ratio, but I thought maybe someone has run a 28 rear wheel.Ya my weight is going to factor for sure.

Fly

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Imagine a 26" bike with a 44 tooth sprocket. A 250 lb rider is not going to overpower that engine. That's not a problem.

Your larger wheel, of course, will change your gear ratio. To the tune of 28 divided by 26. Or 14/13. You can see that it's not a huge difference. You'll gain speed and lose torque by that ratio. A 48 tooth sprocket will counter-act this by the ratio 48/44 or 12/11. With a 48 tooth sprocket your gearing will be as near as no matter to a 26 in with a 44 tooth.

Now, are those spokes 14 gauge? I'd be concerned about that. A 28 inch wheel with 14s might be just a bit delicate for this application.

If that's the case, then I'd really recommend low speeds. Then a 52 tooth, or even larger, might be the right one.

Ronzworld

Feb 21, 2014
Regina,Saskatchewan
Hi there ... I just thought , for what it's worth , I would throw my 2 cents worth at ya ...
This past season I built a couple of '29ers' and it was my experience that on the 29" wheel the 44 tooth sprocket was pretty much compairable too about a 36 - 38 tooth on a 26" wheel ... SO ..I would think that if you want too have about a 'stock kit' gearing ... I would guess a 50ish tooth sprocket should put you fairly close . If you want a bit more top end rather than low end torque I would suggest a 48 tooth .. while on the other hand , if you prefer the low end torque and aren't trying ta set any speed records , the 52 tooth would the choice
Sounds like a road bike wheel set ... I think that alot of them run the 28" wheel ..?? although I have to admit ... I have had 'zero' experience with any road bikes at all ... I don't think they would stand up well too the demands a motor puts on the bike ... But hey .. I've been wrong b-4 ... lol
At any rate ... ENJOY yourself with your project .. because really , when it's all said and done , that IS what most of us do this for !