clutch noise. slipping? Help!

GoldenMotor.com

mikevanky

Jan 26, 2009
northcarolina
I.wee. just got all the bugs worked out on my new ride ( or so i thought) . ie. crank sprocket falling off, rear sprocket miss-aligned, fixing then replacing throttle cable, replacing fuel line, re-welding gas tank, adjusting rear wheel bearings, replacing muffler gasket, replacing head gasket, spark plug broke and was replaced, problem with carb on intake seal, kill switch broke, and making a mount plate from scratch because the included one was not included. oh and don't for get stripping and replacing hardware. haha, was running great until....

my problem now is it sounds like the clutch is slipping or some thing is making a rather high pitched noise. dose not happen when clutch is disengaged.
It also seems real bogged down on the top end???
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I.wee. just got all the bugs worked out on my new ride ( or so i thought) . ie. crank sprocket falling off, rear sprocket miss-aligned, fixing then replacing throttle cable, replacing fuel line, re-welding gas tank, adjusting rear wheel bearings, replacing muffler gasket, replacing head gasket, spark plug broke and was replaced, problem with carb on intake seal, kill switch broke, and making a mount plate from scratch because the included one was not included. oh and don't for get stripping and replacing hardware. haha, was running great until....

my problem now is it sounds like the clutch is slipping or some thing is making a rather high pitched noise. dose not happen when clutch is disengaged.
It also seems real bogged down on the top end???
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hey, welcome to the forum...one way or another the help you need is here.

Jeez, I hope you made out better in that crash than your bike did laff.

Seriously...describe exactly what the clutch is doing.

If you are sure it's slipping, you need to remove the cover and adjust the star nut, clockwise. There is a small philips screw that locks the star nut in place. Remove it, and disengage the clutch by rotating the arm that the clutch cable is attached too. Now you will be able to turn the star nut clockwise. Adjust the star nut, (clockwise), until there is just a bit of free play in the pressure plate. In other words, you should still be able to push the bike without excessive drag. If your clutch was slipping due to this adjustment, the star nut should have turned at least one turn.

If it still slips after this adjustment, you may have glazed the friction pads.

It is also possible that the primary spring is out of adjustment, but first things first.

Keep posting info, and we'll help get it fixed.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Mike,

I forgot to mention:

While the clutch cover is off, check and make sure that the large flat-head screw on the crank gear is tight. Sometimes this screw will back out and rub the inside of the cover...Noise. If it is loose remove it completely and locktite it.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Also,

The gear with the friction pucks floats on the countershaft hub. There is a considerable amount of axial, and lateral play in this gear when the clutch is disengaged. If the clutch doesn't lock tight, the gear may be fluttering causing the noise.

Jim

mikevanky

Jan 26, 2009
northcarolina
I don't believe that it is the screw on the crank sprocket because it only happens when the motor is powering the bike( and that it has rattled off once). when in idle the noise stops. The chain inst rubbing on any thing. also I don't think it is some thing in the clutch vibrating because it only happens when engaged.

I will try adjusting the flower nut tomorrow, cause tonight I party!