Why didn't I think of this earlier?

GoldenMotor.com

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I got sometime this weekend and checking out the BTR forum
Saw Sportmans 200 build thread, it is one nice bike. Anyhow, the drive system on the 200 is so nice (post#76). It eliminates almost all the clutter on the frame and makes a cleaner look, lighter too to boot. I was debating on picking up the sportsman 200 drive system while walking to the backyard for a smoke. Then I saw my old HD freewheel from SBP sitting on the shelf and though I probably could use it and build something similar.

This project involve
44t sprocket from the SBP shift kit
24t sprocket from SBP shift kit
SBP HD freewheel
SBP freewheel adapter
206mm axle with key way

I'm using the hillard clutch with 10t sprocket. Rear puch hub has 45t 17" x 2.5" tires on it. Final ratio is ~8.25.

Doesn't look pretty as the sportsman 200 but it works. It's a Freewheel on the left crank. Pedal works great also. I haven't started the 212 up though, and don't know for sure if the freewheel can handle the torque. Hopefully I'll get things done and start riding before summer. I'll be able to tell if it'll hold up.

I'll get pic tomorrow or so.
Anyhow, is it just me or SBP just raised their price for the HD freewheel?

Last edited:

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR

I have two concerns so far

1) From the rear, I aligned the right side of the front sprocket to the right side of the rear sprocket. The SBP sprocket is so skinny, that i'm thinking i should center it to the rear sprocket. Don't know if that's necessary just yet.

2) The bolts that came with the freewheel kit is 4mm if i remember correctly, I really don't know if the torque from the 212 will snapped them. I might drill a bigger holes for 6mm bolts

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I think you might have some issues with the torque of this motor and your choice of clutch on the sbp items you mentioned. I have used the sportsman drive on four bikes and run the clutch he designed made by bully and this system is bullet proof.

Good luck and keep us posted.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Scotto,

Yes, 5mm bolts for the sprocket can probably snapped pretty easily by the 212. I was thinking of bracing them, or fab up an adapter to the freewheel.

Either that or build something stronger. A bearing hub(~$10) with two bearings and two sprocket adapter (cheap).

How easy is it to line up the driven sprocket? Did you have to offset the motor at all for the sportman drive system? IS your motor mounted center?

My motor is currently mounted 1/4" to the left, for the old jackshaft setup. I can definitely reweld the plate to center it if i were to go with the sportman drive system.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I just got a downs brother racing clutch which completely throw off the chain line. Total spacing between sprockets was 3.14" apart and the bottom bracket shaft was too short.

With 3.14" spacing between them, I can't run the shaft rear ward as it would chew up my flesh quickly. I do not want the chain so close. So the new jackshaft would have to go up front.So back to a jackshaft that would reduce the spacing to hopefully < 2.0"