one mans trash is another mans treasure

GoldenMotor.com

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
so yesterday im takin a spin on my gas bike to the local store, i suddenly realized i didnt have cash so i made a detour through the alley. when about halfway down. I seen it right next to the trash cans. I was like no way, this cant be happening, there she sat a vintage stright bar frame schwinn hornet all complete.. i just kept looking around like who would leave this here? apon further inspection of the bike it had two flat tires, a frozen headset, and about 60 years of patina LOL someone who lived at this house threw this thing away it still amazes me.. well heres a pic

Attachments

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Color me jealous, bro. That frame will clean up easy. Oil, maybe some heat and a lot of elbow grease should get that headset freed up. Might want to think about some new rims, but you're still coming out of pocket for a lot less than that bike is actually worth. Nice score, bro!

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
thanks everyone this one dont get a motor. 2door i found this thing about 2 blocks from my house let me tell you i wont be riding this bike near that house. i didnt steal it but it sure feels that way lol. and im not repainting it maybe just some new spokes and tires

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
thanks everyone this one dont get a motor. 2door i found this thing about 2 blocks from my house let me tell you i wont be riding this bike near that house. i didnt steal it but it sure feels that way lol. and im not repainting it maybe just some new spokes and tires
Dag gone!what luck! Looks alot like the one i'm working on now. Have a great time with it Schwinns Rock. .shft.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I know the feeling. Several years ago I found my 1950 Schwinn straight bar at my local dump. Couldn't believe it. Fenders were shot and one wheel was missing, but it lives on as my American Flyer with a sidecar and 99cc Predator engine. I've had a number of bikes, but this remains my favorite ride. Makes a fine motorbike.
SB

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
Its been a while since I pulled the Hornet out of the alley. bought a tank for it, and threw some fenders on it that I had in the garage.. I want a rear rack and a fender light next. this RAT ROD don't get a motor!!

Attachments

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Both of your bicycles are equally beautiful gentlemen. I love it when people trash stuff. I don't suppose glenbo found that tank laying next to the road however.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
very nice job on the JC Higgens bike.. Thing looks brand new!! I wish I could have got so lucky too find the tank too. I didn't want to paint the frame and forks on this bike im hoping some day to find some nice fenders and keep this thing more original.. heres a pic of the Schwinn and my JC Higgens..
glennbo

Attachments

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Glennbo, Not to get off the subject of the post but did the roadmaster with the 212 hold together? Do you still own it? Thats a really nice rear hub in the pic on the right, reminded me of your roadmaster.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
The roadmaster is holding up just fine it just goes to fast for its brakes.. one of these days im going to get a disc set up on it.. I have also drawn a little attention from the local police riding that bike the last thing I want is to have it impounded.. the jc bike has lights turn signals and a horn so they leave me alone on that bike.. the peg on the rear axel is actually a trailer hitch.. I just got the 99cc rebuilt and back in the bike have some trick valve springs its pretty good ride and its more under the radar if you know what I mean LOL.. ihave 4 gas bikes
212 road master
160 Schwinn
99 jc bike
66 huffy
dnut

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
If you were referring to my bike and the tank? This Model didn't come with a tank as it was made for military use but never saw action as the war ended and it became over stock at the Factory and then re-circulated back into the civilian market it did come with truss rods and I'm still looking for a pair of those in decent shape and won't cost and arm and an eye.