piston issue

GoldenMotor.com

dyzionyc

Dec 19, 2008
ny long island
hey guys,
the day i get my engine forum is down so i was sooo pissed. but now its back and running and im not so pissed anymore.

okey got my kit, and started taking the cylinder and stuff apart
decided to do some port matching, got some pictures ill post up tomorrow but i got a question that need answering .

technicly would the engine work if the piston would be put on backwards, if so what would be the disadvantages of that?

thanks

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have seen them in "backwards", and run them like that, no problems.
I have one right now with the arrow pointing towards the rear. It runs fine.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You may want to check where the pin for the rings is, and if that is pointing to a port, you may want to turn it (piston) around and see if it then will not be where the port openings are...other than that, I don't know that it makes any difference.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
That brings up an interesting question I haven't seen mentioned here before.

Is there any offset on the piston pin's in these HT engines from China ?

That's usually done to prevent piston slap and counteract the ravages of
centrifigual force.

In this case it could well be to keep the ring gaps indexed away from a port also.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Dammit, I just put a new top end on mine and forgot to check for and arrow...I was too concerned about getting the pin to slide into the piston without binding up.....I had to take some sandpaper to message the piston pin holes....I could have froze the pins and warmed up the piston, but then the piston and pin fit would stick once together....Right....Has anyone else run into this????It`s running without prob`s....