Can another muffler reduce the noise?

GoldenMotor.com

hong@hong kong

Jul 8, 2011
hong kong
I've read about adding another muffler to reduce the noise.
And I've found some muffler.

about $15

My bike:

Here is my plan

Should I buy this muffler and will this work?

Last edited:

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
I've never tried on a bicycle engine but I know on a car, dual exhaust doesn't do anything for volume level. You have to run them inline. It definitely looks a lot cooler, that's for sure. Besides, that's actually 3 "mufflers", the tuned-pipe/expansion chamber, plus the 2 mufflers.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A minor correction - a tuned-pipe/expansion chamber does little to "muffle" & in fact can sometimes add a resonant "ping" to the exhaust tone, depending on wall thickness - and lower cost ones are usually pretty thin, accenting this note (prolly from the reflected pressure wave).

Parallel duals won't decrease volume levels it's true, thay may actually increase exhaust noise as restriction may be reduced (usually the point of duals) - in line mufflers will decrease noise, but may negatively impact performance as the restriction/back pressure is increased, it may defeat a tuned pipe/expansion chamber's effectiveness as well as they're dependent on such... as they are dependent on header length, which may be something to consider as well. Bends in the system reduce noise, but can also effect performance.

A solution to help with chamber noise & for a miniscule performance gain (uniform temperature assists flow), you can use High Temperature Header/Exhaust Wrap & while you don't need to coat it, I would recommended HT Silicone Coating as it helps preserve the wrap.

Not an expansion chamber ofc, just an example of wrap;

The most effective option that doesn't negatively impact performance to any large degree is simply exhaust system length, here's an expansion chamber using the stock exhaust manifold, with the glasspack silencer modified to be nearly twice it's original length (2" OD aluminum conduit) - quite a difference with far better performance over stock - while the noise is only slightly less than stock, it's behind the rider and so much more comfortable to ride;

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Agreed with Mike.
1 into two is just for looks.
an addition is just a fix, but would be the btr option if you can do it without increasing restriction which would noticeably cut hp.
I think most cars use a cat and a muffler now... my kid, for some reason!, runs either one pair or the other, from time to time. Both quiet the noise to one degree or another.
My old benz had a small muffler right at the end of the header, just before the firewall, for a quieter passenger compartment, then a muffler towards the rear of the car.
Just how that might relate to 2 cycle mc engines I will leave for u to figger out! lol
I believe an xchamber is best for a 2smoke, and fiberglass wrap over the whole thing would help, with a low restriction straight-thru muffler on the tail end.
I am not sure what exactly goes on with the center-tap xchambers... u might wish to look into that???
Best
rc

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
sweet ideas,im not concerned about noise levels my self ,but do like the idea of running a expansion chamber and spliting into duals for the looks,my concern is will i need mufflers on the duals or do you think 2"pipe 20" long off the Y pipe give me proper back pressure?

thepolarpandabear

Jun 11, 2011
Michigan
My idea for reducing noise would be to possibly build a k baffel system found in firearm suppressors aka silencers, I'm not going to go into it but for safe measure it better not be able to fit to a firearm.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
LOL

Courteous people use a suppressor when they target practice so they don't disturb their neighbors! :)

...and same goes for motorbikes!

We got quite a few harleys around here, and of course tons of rice rockets...
I run them all around for years with stoopid loud pipes.

It's the noise that gets people ticked off... then they notice the rider might have been going really fast.

If u can squeeze most the power out of a bike and keep the sound level down it would be a real accomplishment that I'd be interested in !

Best you can do in a small package suitable for a motorbike sounds great.
rc