Motorized Bicycle Rockhopper, first build

GoldenMotor.com

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
My first build on my tried and true early 90's Rockhopper with a four stroke HS. Biggest challenge was converting the sprocket to fit the 32 spoke wheel, after that the remaining build was pretty standard...fabricate, fit, fidget, and force it.

Attachments

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Re: MB Rockhopper, first build

My first build on my tried and true early 90's Rockhopper with a four stroke HS. Biggest challenge was converting the sprocket to fit the 32 spoke wheel, after that the remaining build was pretty standard...fabricate, fit, fidget, and force it.
Great looking 4 stroke but good luck with that gearbox.
Where did you buy that kit from?

There is a 50 cc 4 stroke class at the next Oct 2nd race
in Apple Valley.

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA

I bought the kit local from BikeBerry. It is the 2011 Flying Horse 5G HS kit. Bugger on the gearbox, I was hoping a newer kit would provide a more reliable configuration...Guess I let my enthusiasm surpass my research.
The kit came with a six month warranty so I figured I was covered, my short experience to date with BikeBerry has been positive. I guess I will discover if it holds true.

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA

Well, you were both correct. Did not even make 10 miles and here is the result below, it appears that the problem started with a loose bolt in the case holding the gearbox in place.
This was after my third trial run to check kit stability and re-tighten and adjust as needed. The exhaust gasket went to pieces before I made one trip around the block. I'm calling BikeBerrry now.

Attachments

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA

BB gave me a few directions on fixing gasket issue and said they have had no problems from this version of the hoot and its under warrenty.

Now if I could just figure a way to remove the large gear on the right in the box I might be able to get it up to speed...not budging with pulley puller.

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA

Gear puller actually busted the gear during removal attempt, unit was damaged from original install/defect. BikeBerry covered with warrenty and I am back together and on the road.