66cc skyhawk engine was working then nothing

GoldenMotor.com

lukeo187

Jul 27, 2011
louisiana
I helped my brother assemble his GRUBEE SkyHawk GT5 66cc/80cc (Black Finish) kit, got it running the first start. there is some bogging at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. 3rd trip I rode it for about an hour, parked it for a few hours then went for another ride. I started tinkering with the idle speed screw and the air/fuel mixture screw. Immediately started bogging even worse, so i tried adjusting them back to there normal position, didn't work. The motor will start now, but giving it any gas bogs it to the point of dieing, and as soon as i disengage the clutch the motor immediately dies. I think it has something to do with the carb but i'm not sure. Saw a video on youtube where the main jet? had completely come unscrewed, maybe that's a start. I will take it apart tomorrow. If anyone could give some incite it would be greatly appreciated.

oldguy387

Jul 5, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa.
Set the slide (the large plastic thing inside carb) so it sits open about 1/4". You have to remove your air cleaner to see this. Then set the idle screw to keep the slide in this position. Put air cleaner back on and start motor with choke wide open. Motor should start and run. Adjust choke for smooth rpm and ride until motor warms up. Now close choke a little at a time until you find the setting for a warmed up motor. These motors need air to get the fuel to where it is supposed to be. After you get it running and idling, then you can play with the carb if you want.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Bogging is two things - too much air not enough fuel, or too much fuel not enough air.

The problem lies in the white spacer bit where the carb clamps to the intake. Look for air leaks and seal it.

lukeo187

Jul 27, 2011
louisiana
i think its not the lack of air because it was running to where i could ride it with some bogging at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle but now i can't even get it to idle, and it dies when i disengage the clutch. the fuel tank is not above the carb and there is no in line filter, not sure what the problem is. took the fuel hose off and seen little black pieces in the fuel that came out the hose. Do i need new fuel hose, less fuel line, better petcock? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Question...
If you disconnect that fuel line from the carb, will it run gas on the ground?
If yes, it's probably enough to keep the bowl filled.
If not, un-cap the tank and see if it flows.
If it will not flow under those conditions, there is some sort of restriction in the line.

I'm basing this assumption on my view of the innards of a kit-type petcock which only has a couple of 2mm holes in it for the fuel to flow through... that ain't much, but it's sufficient in most all cases. Even if your line is ling and run in a goofy path, it should still flow enough to fill the bowl at a rate these thangs consume.

As said above, it's probably that goonie carb spacer or a leak in it's installation.
I'm gonna work on my own, today, just to make sure and eliminate that potential for trouble.
Good luck
rc

lukeo187

Jul 27, 2011
louisiana
Fixed the problem, added an inline fuel filter, so i think thats helping the gas flow. Took the fuel line off the carb and the metal tube it's suppose to connect to on the carb came out with it. I know it's not suppose to do that so i think that was the main problem, resealed it and attached the hose back, and its running fine.