weird noise on the engine!!! added video to better figure it out.

GoldenMotor.com

smemo666

Jun 20, 2011
Chicago
Hi fellas,
This is what I have.

48cc CNSv2 Grubee skyhauk new model (2010)
The carburetor came with the kit and is for the 66cc one.

I installed the kit with some mods and new studs.
It runs and idles well.
The problem is in a weird sound that seems to come from the clutch area, I'm not a mechanic neither have any knowledge in engines. but I can tell that sound is weird. I checked some videos on the forum and no one has it so that makes me nervous.
Here is the link to a video I took to better help.
Thanks for your help.

‪MB weird sound in the engine‬‏ - YouTube

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Nice looking bike, I especially like the way the front mount fits... Actually the engine doesn't sound differently then mine. Just to make sure, remove the clutch cover, and inspect it. Start and run engine without the cover to see if there is any difference. You might want to add a baffle to the clutch cover. Some use cardboard, some ole mouse pads..whatever you can cut to fit in the cover. Also, personally I like the clutch arm parallel with the frame, but if it works well enough leave it.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
It sounds good to me, but your hand bar vibrating is a awesome optical illusion lol.
Yeah where to you get handle bars like that:D

Grease your actuator linkage is under the cover on the left side. Important there is a little ball bearing inside the engine chain sprocket you don't need to take it out but it might fall out . Don not loose it. Grease all that linkage and get some grease in that hole.

Also the clutch gears are a little whiny when new on some of these motors they will get quieter over time. Put a small dab of grease on those gears and your good to go!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Some how when I re-watch the video it looks scary. From looking into the reflection of the mirror and the image inside of it I get the impression the bars are really moving.:eek:rotfl I know better there is no way they move that much. Nice optical illusion!XD

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
What you are seeing is what the handlebars are actually doing, only in slow motion as the frequency of the vibration is at a different speed than the frame rate of the camera.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Vids in his first post-

yea smemo, it sounds like either the clutch gear pinging on its own, or against the clutch cover. I'd pull the cover and see if it's hitting the inside somewhere. My one engine had really wobbly clutch gear and was making the same noise from hitting the inside of the cover. It drove me nuts!

I had to grind off alot of material, and use 3 gaskets(cereal box) just to get it quiet. Then my top end nuked and I didn't have to worry about it anymore :p

The marker(in the pic) is so I could see if it was still hitting(after grinding I couldn't tell where it was hitting.)

You might be able to get away with an extra gasket or two if you're not into grinding/sanding.

Oh, and make sure there's a dab of grease on the gears :)

Attachments

smemo666

Jun 20, 2011
Chicago
Hi guys,
The effect on the handels is real. The video is tacked at 24 frames per second and the bibration was in fact much more fast. The sound is high and noticeable even for those that stope in my first ride to ask what in the world I was riding.
Thanks for your answers. They are mix. Some said that is just fine and others said don't. So I guess I'll follow some of the instructions to see if I can fix the sound and if I can fix I I'll let you know.
Thanks

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
...Just like that Tom Petty song with, "It's the normal noises in here!" on the recording... It sound nicer than mine, which is run in.

Nice build !

LOL
The handlebar wobblies remind me of HD rubber mounted bars!
...and it IS kinda spookie!!!

...there's always gonna be something going on at the end of a long element like those bars... since u already got the long cables rigged, get some apes... U'll be happier and more comfortable with apes. (my 2cents)

Get r' in the wind!
rc

smemo666

Jun 20, 2011
Chicago
Hi Guys thanks for the answers,
I oppened the clutch and ran it,,, the sound is way lower and I didn't found any loss pieces or visual signs of stress or contact, so I made a gasket with corch and reduced the sound a little, but still there.
I'm thinking in buying the sound dampeners that Sick Bike sells. Does any body tried yet? Do they work?

Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean with apes? I don't know the term of meaning of it. (I know the literal mining of it)