Anyone know semi-automatic scooter trannies?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have an xy 50 cc scooter- It's a Honda 50 Passport style step through frame with 17" wheels. It's got a 4 speed "semi-automatic" tranny- you push the foot lever up and down through the gears without a clutch-

today I was changing the oil, but opened the wrong drain plug at the bottom-
it was the tranny fluid- a skinny rod about four inches popped out and a spring about the same size-

the fluid in there looked almost like regular motor oil :confused:
and pretty thin.

anyway- I'm not sure what the rod and spring were, and if i got them back in right- when I opened the plug- it really popped down- when I put the rod back up first- it didn't want to come back out so eventually I put the spring on top of the rod and pushed them both back up there-

I'm not sure what sorta fluid to put in- I put fairly light oil and I rode it around several miles with no problem- it may seem a bit stiff- I'm not sure- I'd never ridden it- Would regular tranny fluid be better?

anyway I have neither owners manual nor repair book- so I'm wondering what kind of fluid usually goes in an older style Honda Passport or Yahama 50?

And I'm still wondering what the spring and rod are for and if i got them back in right.

anyone have any experience? Is there a scooter website similar to this one?

It's a fun little moped and it really goes for a 50cc!

Attachments

Last edited:

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
You removed the tensioner for the timing chain . It only works one way , in its proper order . You can check if the chain has tension by removing the left side inspection plate on the head by removing the bolt on the right side . It might be hard to judge this . This is a typical setup but many different styles were made . ..... D.J.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Thats the part alright- doesn't say which way it goes up there though-

I guess it's supposed to sit in a pool of oil- I got some 30 weight to replace it- it seems that when it's overfilled it leaks and drips out from somewhere-

then it just stops- seems pretty weird and I hope I don't have trouble with it- Just got the thing cleaned up, touched up and running otherwise- I got it over a year ago- it's severa years old and had sme rust on the rims- but had less than 200 miles on it-

until today! Had a great timeon it- hope it doesn't fuss. Thanks for the info-

anybody else got any input?