Mod asking a question???

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
A mod started a thread titled "Friend? Friend Request????".

Here is what he put in the thread:

"Guys I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't like this friends request stuff( I have a different word but can't put it on here) so I don't OK them.
When I answer your questions or attempt to answer then isn't that being a friend. "

Then locked the thread! He asked a question and didn't even have the decency to let anyone answer it. I was going to agree that offering help is a friendly gesture. Am I missing something or was it just a rhetorical question?

To the mod, if you don't have the gonads to maybe get a bad response, don't post it!

Terry

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm sure he was talking about answering questions in his section 'Norm's 2 stroke repair center'.

I met Norman (& his son Gabe) when they came to LA. Norman is a very cool person! (^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Norm is the only person from the other forum who would help me. So I can't saw anything bad about him period. He is my friend without me having to ask him to be I hope. It would never occur to me to ask anyone to be my friend. It's like asking your mother to be your mother as far as I am concerned.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I get requests to be a "friend" frequently. I just shrug and allow the request. In all honesty I'm not really sure what the advantages/disadvantages of that feature are. It is part of the v-Bulletin softwear that runs our forum.
It really has no function that I'm aware of.
What Norm is saying is that it takes a few minutes to read, then authorize the request and like me, he doesn't see any advantage either for himself or the members who are requesting the honor.
He goes on to say that he's happy to answer any question that comes into the 'Ask Norm' section and see's no reason to make someone his "friend" to help members out with a problem.
So? What's the issue here? That he asked a retorical question?
Lighten up, go for a bike ride and enjoy the fact that you have the time, money and freedom to do it. The majority of people in this world don't.
Norm is in the center of this photo.
Tom

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Regarding the friend feature thing on the forum. I thought I was just missing something and didn't understand what it was for. Is there some benefit? Yeah, it seems that you make real friends on here the normal way by talking with people, being friendly, helpful, finding common ground. That's how it used to be done. Of course I also don't text, tweet, twitter, facebook or understand half of the little abbreviated words on here that the young people use. Lots of old guys on this forum, aren't there? Glad I'm not the only one.
SB

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i think it's supposed to be like the facebook, twitter stuff. since i don't swing that way it dosen't really meen anything to me. it was some months before i even noticed that there was a personal page for you when you clicked on your own name.
if i missed any requset it wasn't a snub i just don't feel the need for that function, as far as i'm concerned were all friends whether you like me or not. lol.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Norms wife was gone and we put the motorized bikes in his kitchen. He's a real friend. I'm not sure if he has gonads as I've never seen them. But he has complained about sitting down on them..............:D

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Okay, there apparently is a we love Norm feeling on here and I touched a sore spot. My apologies go out to Norm if I upset HIM. I don't apologize for what I said. I still think it should not have been locked. If I want to make a statement and lock it I can't do it.

I did get a kick out of all the pictures of him. He is a good looking guy. Now don't start saying that I'm gay or anything because of that statement.

Terry