It rose from the trashpile!(friction drive BMX)

GoldenMotor.com

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
Here is my first attempt at making a motorized bicycle. Right off the bat I want everyone to know that I made this for FREE. I found everything laying around in trashpiles on the side of the roads here in Texas(which trashpiles are abundant). I only spent 2 dollars in gas and 99 cents on Itasca 2 cycle oil. There are no welds on this build, just nuts, bolts, wood, square tubing and electrical tape. I only wish I knew what CC the crafstman weedwhacker motor is. I had my friend drive beside me while I was riding it and he said I was going between 25 and 30 mph. Not bad for a trash motor! I have already put around 80 miles on the poor little guy. This will be the start of my next build I have slated for my two days off starting tomorrow. Here are a few pics. The last pic is of my other freebie bike I found 2 days ago and tok the stickers off and repainted the bottom half in aluminum Krylon paint and clearcoat. Some idiot decided to spray paint the pedals and arms gold and didnt tape anything off, but, I fixed that!cvlt1

Attachments

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
Yeah, people replied last night to my introduction post, but this is my new build thread for the orange bicycle(codename T.B.2) that is in the last pic. It will be another friction drive, but hopefully it will look alot better than my first one. I get started on it today after I get off from work and get a couple of beers in my system. This second build is going to get me ready for my major build of my Raleigh bike I have pics of posted in my introduction post. Operation "Davey".

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
25-30 mph? It is more than likely a 32 (or so) cc engine. I had a 23cc and it would run at about 20-23 mph on my GPS.

NICE JOB, free or not.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
BTW- the use of ply wood, and wood in general is grossly overlooked. I have built two ultralight airplanes from wood (except the fittings and engines of course) and it has great strength to weight ratios when used properly.

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
I have metal plates that I wanted to use, but I dont really have many tools for metal work, mainly woodwork. If I really wanted to make it look better, I would just slap some bondo on it to fill in the crevices and then sand and paint. I just recently acquired 3 31 cc weedwhacker motors from a friend(Poulan, Ryobi and Bollen) and I just need to look them over and clean them up a bit. I still need to pick them up from his house. The craftsman motor I have on my current bike stopped working yesterday and I found out that it needed a new main gasket and so I got that and I am just waiting to let the gasket sealant dry before I test it out. I'm hoping on my next check I will have enough to finally buy the Stinger motor kit for my build.

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
Went ahead and put my crapsman motor on another bike due to the mongoose missing parts and just not as comfortable as this wally world thruster bike. I just noticed though that this is my second motor bike and on the side of the bike it says 2.0. Pretty neat. I am up to 5 free weedeater motors. How awesome is that. Just cant wait to buy the stinger kit. heres a snapshot.

Attachments