The Mad Martian Dressed for Winter

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Looks good...I saw the ice storm you guys had. Did you get a chance to test the tires out? What gear box are you using?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You're more courageous than I am. I'll ride if the road is clear of ice and snow and that's it. Lot of snow and cold up my way already, so the bikes sit. I miss riding, but it was a great fall.
SB

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN
You're more courageous than I am. I'll ride if the road is clear of ice and snow and that's it. Lot of snow and cold up my way already, so the bikes sit. I miss riding, but it was a great fall.
SB
Probably not so much courageous as more foolish. I've bicycled on ice before. Just not with an engine. I'll see how it goes.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Not to infer it's "safe" or anythin' lol - but I've found it's a lil easier to ride motorized on ice than to pedal as ya don't have the weight shift from side to side...

Now... turning & stopping however *shrug* who needs it anyway right? :p

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Running over Rocky isn't a problem except for Rocky. Running into Bullwinkle is another story. A couple years ago I was riding my regular run to Bearhead State Park just down the road from where I live and crested a long, steep and twisting decline. At the botton of the hill a moose was crossing the road followed by a second one. They heard the bike and both stopped staring in my direction. Oh boy. I stopped and shut off the motor... and waited to drop the bike,run as fast as I could and climb a tree. What seemed like a long time went by before they slipped off into the forest. Moose are not afraid of anything, including cars and trucks. Luckily for me they have poor eyesight for distances and by staying still and quiet I was deemed no threat with no reason to stomp me into the ground. I've seen another along the side of the road ahead cantering along like a big draft horse which then veered off into the woods, as I slowed the bike way down to keep a distance. I am more concerned riding my motorbike with moose than anything else including vehicles. Bear get out of the way, wolves are very wary and slip away. Deer are another concern as they sometimes take off in the opposite way you think they will and getting clobbered by a leaping deer would be disaster. Only Bullwinkle would actually charge you, so he's the one to watch for. That said, it is always a thrill to see one, or slow down to let a bear get out of the way, glimpse a timber-wolf slipping off into the trees or even a curious red fox who tends to hang back at the edge of the woods to watch this strange thing pass by, especially with my dog in the trailer. Bullwinkle and Rocky are alive and well in the environs of Frostbite Falls, Minnesota where the beaches of the lakes are snow white this time of year and you can walk on water.
SB

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN
I had a neighbor who was late for work because a moose was standing in his driveway, effectively blocking him in. He took pictures as proof!

I had a two-minute standoff with a black bear when riding on my Honda Valkyrie. I kept the bike idling with the headlight on and finally the bear headed off into the woods.

And then there are the deer. Two friends of mine plowed into a deer at speed on a motorcycle. One was killed, the other suffered severe injuries. Another friend hit a deer at speed on his Harley, chopped the deer in two and managed to stay upright.

Worst thing I ever hit at speed was a large water beetle. These things are a couple of inches long and come in off of the swamps attracted to lights at night. One smeared itself all over my glasses. My glasses stayed intact and on my face, but I was picking pieces of water beetle out of my eyes, eyebrow, mustache and..... it kind of reminded me of the movie "Men in Black" when they blasted gooey chunks of alien all over somebody.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
what brand and model of tires are those, i just ordered the swabble ice spikers and am waiting for them to arive. plan to put them on my morini bike and ride the frozen creeks this winter.

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN
what brand and model of tires are those, i just ordered the swabble ice spikers and am waiting for them to arive. plan to put them on my morini bike and ride the frozen creeks this winter.

Mine are Schwalbe Ice Spiker HS 33 Studded Bicycle Tire (26x2.1, Wire Beaded, Reflex) Gottem from Amazon.com.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
yeah. schwalbe, i spelled that wrong. i got the 26x2.1 with 304 spikes, got them from the phat tire site and they don't give a model number for them, just hoping they have a real aggressive spike. have you tried them out yet. i'm like a kid waiting on santa.